View Single Post
Unread 01-18-2022, 09:53 PM   #182
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not helping my confusion a whole lot, but........

The plywood that is directly under your shower, the layer on top of the 2x3 joists, or sleepers, or whatever we wanna call them, is your shower subfloor. Why? Because it is the subflooring upon which you plan to build your shower. Whatever you want to call the framing below the level of the 2x3s is a matter for another discussion. Please.

You are going to construct a shower on the area that we see in your photos that has a drain line angling across it among the 2x3 joists. You have subflooring on those joists that is separated such that it does not cover the narrow area containing the drain line, but covers the joist areas on either side.

My question was why you had done that, rather than cover the entire 2x3 joist area with the subflooring? I'm not seeing the logic there.

Second thing I do not understand is the construction of a traditional shower receptor rather than a direct bonded waterproofing type receptor. Perhaps I've not been following the thread closely enough, but with a wood framed subfloor outside the shower, I'm not seeing how you plan to waterproof the area outside the shower, which will get wet. With a direct bonded waterproofing membrane-type receptor, it would be a simple matter to continue the waterproofing out onto the rest of the floor. And would have provided more room for joists under the shower, which I do understand you don't really need for structure, but would have been easier than ripping 2x3 joists to accommodate two mud beds.

Bottom line at this point for me is, why the gap over the drain? And how do you plan to waterproof the floor outside the shower?

If you have decided that ain't none of that any of my bidness, I'll surely understand.

CX

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote