View Single Post
Unread 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
jtraggie99

Kids Bathroom Redo

I have been perusing these boards for quite some time, and I think I have finally got up the nerve to start work on our kids bathroom. It is a standard 10' x 5', jack and jill bathroom with an alcove shower / tub at one end, vanity at the other, etc. Our house was built in '84, and we have lived there for almost 2 years now. From what I can tell, the bathroom still seems to be in the same shape it was built. This means it has that 80's gray skirted tub with matching gray tile surround. There was a matching gray toilet as well, but we have already replaced it. Also, there was a partition wall that split it into two rooms, that I have taken down. We plan to move the toilet over about 6" (currently almost bumps up against the tub), now that the wall is gone and the room is more open, and put in a slightly bigger tub.

With regards to the tub and tile, I will be tearing out the existing tile surround and tub, having a new tub installed and all related plumbing, once we get the toilet moved over. Then I will be tiling the surround (still on the fence between kerdi and redgard). At some point after that, I will be tiling the floor, which currently is carpet. Why on earth people put carpet in bathrooms is beyond me. As far as tile work goes, even before coming across this board, I do have some history with it. When I was in college, I worked with a family friend who owned his own tile business, helping do tile work for part-time work. To give some perspective, for tubs and showers, he did the vapor barrier, followed by mud walls as a substrate. This was over 15 years ago, I would guess prior to things like kerdi and redgard. But I at least have hands on experience with the process and what it looks like.

With that said, my first question is, what's the best way to get the old tile surround down? It had been suggested to me to use a rotary hammer, which I have, but is that the best way to go? I have no idea what is behind the tile and what they attached it to.

Thanks for any suggestions, and I am sure I will be back with more questions as I move along in this process (which will be slow undoubtedly).