View Single Post
Unread 04-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Is buying a Dell and changing out the hard drive something I want to even consider doing myself?
Prepare yourself the the technical equivalent of the "modified" versus "un-modified" thinset discussion!

For a one off personal system, I'd typically say it's better for you to buy one with the "SSD Storage" installed.. However, I just looked at the Dell site and found that the Precision 3530 series we just bought which goes for $700-1000 doesn't offer the SSD option. I asked our IT Engineer who cynically (like me ) said that is Dells way of forcing you up into the 7000 series systems for an extra $800-1000.

Since you are comfortable swapping memory and such, I'd get a Dell configured with a "500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive" and then buy this Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) and clone the Dell drive over to it (FYI: When using offline hardware cloner, the original and target drive sizes need to match)

The cloners are very simple to use; put the original drive in the "A" Slot and the new SSD in the "B" slot and hit Clone. And then walk away cuz the blinky lights are hypnotic and you'll waste a bunch of time watching the copy progression. At least that what happens to me.

Our current cloning favorite is the Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Dual-Bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station with Offline Clone.

The Inateck also functions as a dock for a connected harddrive; I keep mine connected all the time and use it as a location for my systems backups.

We just started buying the 3000 and 7000 series Precision for our office. The Engineers use the 7000 with NVIDIA video cards and the normal people are getting the 3000 series which are lighter and cheaper option. Both are dock-able to monitors and keyboards using the USB C or Thunderbolt connectors; we prefer Thunderbolt because of the faster performance and the ability to drive two monitors.

Name:  Precision Options.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  15.5 KB

Last edited by PC7060; 04-26-2019 at 08:33 AM.
PC7060 is online now   Reply With Quote