View Single Post
Unread 09-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
BAreEhD

DYI Blotchy Grout Issue (With PICTURE)

Hi all,

I've been reading through your forums for a while now, in preparing for my first tile/grout job in my home.

Everything has gone relatively well, with one exception last night. My wife and I were grouting our porch. Per the instructions on the bag, we applied the grout, and allowed time for it to settle, then began wiping it with a wet sponge. That was cool.

The trouble started when we went back to look at it a short time later and noticed that there was too much grout in some areas, and we really wanted to get it down so it would be nice and level. Of course at this point it was starting to cure so we had to scrape it away with some elbow grease. We used the only instrument that we had on hand that we thought would get the job done without scratching the porcelain - a wooden paint stir stick.

We got it all nice and level and went to bed. When we rose this morning, we notice that the grout is discoloured in the areas where we were trying to reduce the grout - I guess it's like if you scratch a rock with another rock, you'll see a lighter tone coming through. Here's a pic (look especially at the verticle line, toward the top):

EDIT - Can't post the pic - I've uploaded it to photobucket, can someone please post it for me? I can PM you the link.

Does anyone have any advice on how we should even this out? I was thinking about geting a grout removal brush and having a go at it, but I don't know if this is a good idea or not? Should I buy some grout stain and do it that way?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Brad
BAreEhD is offline   Reply With Quote