Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Is my mosaic backsplash grout joint space uneven? (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130843)

californiahomeowner 04-11-2021 04:56 PM

Is my mosaic backsplash grout joint space uneven?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi I am a homeowner and directly hired a licensed tile guy to install my kitchen backsplash. They are marble mosaic pieces. He told me that the marble pieces on the sheets had uneven grout joints and did his best to even out the grout joint space. Since it was a backsplash, he said he didn't need to make the walls perfectly plumb and corners square. I think the walls were mostly plumb and square to begin with.

It looks OK to me, for the most part, but obviously there are many joints that are uneven. It is not grouted yet. I'm just trying to figure out if this is an acceptable job? It took him a day for ~37 square feet of backsplash so far. Obviously, all the pictures on the internet and in stores show perfect grout joint spaces on a backsplash or tile.

I am on the anal/neurotic side.... This is my first time getting a backplash installed so just trying to set a reasonable expectation and reference point in terms of what is an acceptable job.

TY.

Lazarus 04-11-2021 06:40 PM

From the pics...looks like a pretty credible job.....:scratch:

jadnashua 04-11-2021 06:51 PM

Grout, unless it's a highly contrasting choice, tends to hide minor imperfections. In a quick look, I don't see sheet-to-sheet joints that are a more common complaint. Sometimes, those are quite obvious and grouting won't fix it.

Tool Guy - Kg 04-11-2021 07:25 PM

With the uneven reflections I seem to be seeing in the photos, I’d double check to see if the tiles are relatively flat....or relatively tilted every which way. If the light source producing the reflection is a small light bulb, it might be perfectly fine. But if it’s a window, I’d investigate.

:)

Snets 04-11-2021 09:00 PM

I just happen to have a sheet of very similar tile here in my home office that I will be using soon. I grabbed my dial calipers and did some quick grout line width measurements. I picked the visually widest and narrowest spaces and measured, The most I could come up with is 0.018" difference....but you can see it.

Unless there is a ton of lippage, I think once it is grouted it will look good. i remember someone here once saying he never showed a customer a tile job before grouting if he could help it.

Hopefully, this is the case here.

californiahomeowner 04-11-2021 09:27 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Snets 04-12-2021 10:43 PM

Let us know how it turns out. Post some pictures, please.