Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How do I properly apply sealer? (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117035)

jdjones3109 07-19-2015 08:30 AM

How do I properly apply sealer?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm installing a tumbled travertine backsplash with 1/8" grout lines (the rounding of the tiles makes them look bigger) and a granite, ceramic, and glass mosaic inlay. The plan is to do two coats of an enhancer/sealer prior to grouting. I tested a few tiles and 2 coats gave me the color I'm after.

1. Do I apply it to just the face of the tiles taking care to avoid the sides, top and bottom? I'm concerned that the grout won't adhere properly if I seal them

2. I'm not going to put the enhancer/sealer on the mosaic. Instead, I plan on applying a regular sealer to act as a grout release. Is that even necessary? I suspect it won't help much.

3. After the grout has cured, I plan on resealing everything with regular sealer.

4. I cleaned the thinset out of the mosaic tiles as best I could, but there's still some residue. How do I get it out completely?

Tool Guy - Kg 07-20-2015 10:05 PM

1) Yep, your thinking is right on. Try to seal just the faces of the tile.

2) Yes, seal the mosaic. It will help. Especially on the crackle glass that may otherwise take in some grout and permanently stain it. The mosaic tiles with the deep embossing are going to be time consuming to clean the grout from. Use a toothbrush to help clean them (experiment with bristle stiffness to see what works best). Taping the tile isn't exactly practical. But some folks find taping to help somewhat.

3) Ok.

4) A bucket of patience and a dowel sharpened with a pencil sharpener. And did i mention patience?

:)

jdjones3109 07-21-2015 06:11 AM

Thanks Bubba,

A dowel sharpened with a pencil sharpener? Yikes! I'm a DIYer so this process is already taking me four times as long as it takes you guys. I'll be ready to redo the kitchen by the time I finish!

Tool Guy - Kg 07-21-2015 10:13 PM

Four times as long, eh?

Well, sometimes folks ask us about time estimates and we tell 'em this: Take your most pessimistic time guess, assuming the worst case scenario for every possible aspect of the project. Then triple that figure and you might be in the ballpark. So, don't beat yourself up. You're doing fine. Concentrate on quality and the time thing will be worth it in the end.

:)

jdjones3109 07-22-2015 04:43 AM

Tonto,

I learned that lesson from Scotty on Star Trek. If something was going to take an hour, he said it would take him a day. If something was going to take a day, he said it would take him a week. That's why Captain Kirk swore he was a miracle worker!