Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cliff's kitchen project - Subfloor Q's (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103203)

cliff 03-14-2013 09:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I can hardly believe it's been 4 months since I've posted - figured it's time for an update. I've been around soaking up all of your archived knowledge in the mean time. I was hoping by this point it would be a wrap up post, but some issues with the cabinet installer have prevented that.

So let me start with the floor, the SLC went down, kerdi, and starting the tiling.
Took my time over parts of ~5 days, it was a lot of work, and wasn't easy setting the 300*600mm (not actually 12*24") to make sure there was no lippagge, but towards the end I was getting the hang of it. I think it turned out well for my first flooring job.

One lesson that I learned the hard way (when pouring the SLC): Don't trust your measuring cup, especially if it's from Dollarama. Mine was ~120mL short at an indicated 1L :scratch: That makes for an awfully dry mix :jack: So I ended up measuring both the water and powder by weight.

cliff 03-14-2013 09:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So the cabinets shells arrive mid-November, and are on the walls within a week. Granite counters installed Dec 4th - very happy with how they turned out.

The front entryway and steps are all tiled up while waiting on the cabinet doors (sorry missing the colour match caulking at the change in planes in the pic). I wish I would have thought of lining up the kitchen pattern with the stairs as the top is off by a bit - lesson learned for next time.

(...and) the doors finally appear and are mounted Dec 22 & 23rd. (yes that last pic is the afternoon of the 23rd.)

At least they were mounted, and we could partially move stuff back into the cabinets, although it didn't give us much time to get ready to host dinner Christmas eve.

cwilde72 03-14-2013 09:28 PM

Looks awesome Cliff! Great job :tup2:

cwilde72 03-14-2013 09:29 PM

Now it's time to do a backsplash...

cliff 03-14-2013 09:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks Chad - I'm happy with how things have gone (and especially with all the help here - this is a great forum), you were a bit to quick for me on the backsplash :)

... and back to work, (the lower corner cabinet was a good 1/2" lower then the rest, so they were back to shim it before I could get started on the backsplash, which I was able to start last weekend, which brings up my next question.

It looks like most use a bright white unsanded grout with a glass mosaic tile, it seems a little bright to me (I'm aware we might be used to looking at the ungrounted tile for a couple of days - and that's likely tempering our judgement). I don't see much of the grout colour through the sides of the tiles, the backing colours seem to reflect internally to the sides.

I grouted a small area before stopping with Mapei's 00-White (3rd pic), and then picked up some 93-light greylight grey(4th/last pic, on brown paper). The white is a little brighter in real life then the screen, and the grey is lighter as well (tried but couldn't get the camera's white balance set just right to match the monitor).

Which colour grout would you go with?