Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   '"U434f's" Very Fine Kitchen Floor Project (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85993)

u434f 07-15-2010 09:00 AM

'"U434f's" Very Fine Kitchen Floor Project

My wife and I are redoing our kitchen, and the tile that we like has a textured surface in that it has numerous small depressions (think tiny craters) on the surface. Am I setting myself up for a headache when it comes to grouting to try and keep the grout out of all these holes?

bbcamp 07-15-2010 09:45 AM

What kind of tile are these? Are they for the floor, countertop or backsplash? How big are they?

BluegrassFlooring 07-15-2010 10:15 AM

I use an old toothbrush to detail grout out of small recessed areas that aren't meant to be grouted.

Tool Guy - Kg 07-15-2010 10:27 AM

The vast majority of pits in tile are filled with grout, but...
I'm like Bob and would want to know where this tile is to know if it's purely a decorative situation where you can "afford" to leave the pits ungrouted.

:)

BluegrassFlooring 07-15-2010 11:00 AM

I agree, it would be good to know what the material and application are.

Respectfully, I never grout the 'pits' in any tile, unless the customer asks for it and at that I would discourage them. Unfilled or tumbled stone is different, which I almost always grout solid.

A tile similar to a Monocibec Graal or some of the HappyFloors series should not have the pits grouted in my opinion.

Not trying to argue with anyone, just my .02. I'm interested in learning if there's a technical reason why 'pitted' styled tile should be grouted full.

u434f 07-15-2010 11:37 AM

Sorry for the lack of info, these are 16x16 porcelain floor tiles. As far as intentionally filling the holes, that's not really my intention, I'm just not sure I'm skilled enough in grouting to keep the grout out of a bunch of them.

bbcamp 07-15-2010 01:25 PM

I think I'd fill them, or else the housekeeping staff will have to keep them clean.

u434f 07-16-2010 10:33 AM

Thanks bbcamp, I wish that was something I had to worry about.

u434f 07-16-2010 10:37 AM

T&G necessary?

I'm redoing my kitchen and I took up a previous plywood subfloor that was installed over 3/4" slat. I'm replacing the plywood (hopefully with 15/32), and I was wondering if it's really necessary to use T&G plywood, or would it be okay just to butt the edges of standard ply and secure them well. Thanks.

greg98 07-16-2010 10:58 AM

Housekeeping staff = Mrs. u434f.

If this tile is for the kitchen (floor, backsplash, whatever), those "divots" are going to be filled up with "gunk" at some point - could be regular old dirt, built-up grease, etc., and either the housekeeping staff or their support staff (Mr. u434f) is going to have to clean it out somehow.

Dave Taylor 07-16-2010 12:17 PM

Howdy U........

Give us a first name that's easier to pronounce than "u434f" please. :---)

Were a friendly bunch here-a-bouts'.... mostly.

One kitchen floor equals one project equals one thread for all project questions so.... we will combine your multiple threads.

Your new thread will be titled "U434f's" Very Fine Kitchen Floor Project.

Please keep posting your kitchen floor questions to this one, new merged thread.... it will make reviewing your work progress soooo' much easier.

Thanks

BTY:.... T&G ply is not necessary in your case.

Use at least 1/2" exterior (type I glued) plywood with no face grade greater than "C" set and attached as per the instructions found HERE.

I hope this helps

u434f 07-16-2010 12:49 PM

Thanks for the advice Dave, and Craig might be easier than u434f.

Tool Guy - Kg 07-16-2010 09:37 PM

Craig it is. It's now in your signature. :tup2: