Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sealers for travertine and grout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66434)

raindog 09-16-2008 10:56 AM

travertine sealer and grout sealer

I'm wondering what sealer I should use for several projects.

I'm building a polished travertine vanity top. Should I seal the tiles before grouting, if so, with what?

I'm tiling a shower with porcelain tiles with natural travertine accent tiles. Should I seal the natural tile accent tiles before grouting, if so, with what?

Finally what should I use to seal the grout in the shower, on my newly tiled floor, and vanity top?

raindog 09-16-2008 02:37 PM

Sealers for travertine and grout

I'm wondering what sealer I should use for several projects.

I'm building a polished travertine vanity top. Should I seal the tiles before grouting, if so, with what?

I'm tiling a shower with porcelain tiles with natural travertine accent tiles. Should I seal the natural tile accent tiles before grouting, if so, with what?

Finally what should I use to seal the grout in the shower, on my newly tiled floor, and vanity top?

Mike2 09-16-2008 02:47 PM

Paula, I'm going to move you over to the Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing forum. You'll get better coverage of your question over there.

By the way, there are a number of good brands of sealers. StoneTech is one. You should be able to find it locally in certain tile stores carrying professional products, or you can order it online here from the TYW Store.

Davestone 09-16-2008 02:52 PM

Paula, here at the tyw store above we have Stonetech,in there you'll find a heavy duty sealer,this will work for grout and stone alike.Trick is travertine doesn't absorb much so use sparingly, and wipe off excess before it dries.Grout will absorb much more and may take a couple applications,i use a sponge,but you could use an applicator.

cx 09-16-2008 03:49 PM

Up to you where you post a question of that sort, Paula, but please post it in only one forum. Causes much confusion and duplication when folks are trying to answer in two places, eh? :)

raindog 09-17-2008 08:15 AM

My apologies CX.

cx 09-17-2008 09:26 AM

Company policy is that we never kill violators for the first offense, Paula, so not to worry overly. :D

raindog 10-06-2008 12:24 PM

Another related question. I would like to darken up these travertine tiles a bit, is there a sealer that will darken them a bit more than others?

GeorgeT 10-06-2008 01:42 PM

Hi Paula -

Enhancing sealers are designed to enrich the color of the stone. Sometimes that means darken....generally whatever color the tile gets when wet with water is about what an enhancer will do.
Travertine is notorious for varied enhancement. Because travertine naturally has dense areas and porous areas, sealers absorb at different rates thus producing varied enhancment.
The only way to determine which enhancing sealers changes your stone the most is to test different sealers.... every stone is different....

raindog 10-08-2008 10:39 AM

George I picked up some Stonetech Pro Enhancer Pro Sealer from Dal tile. I tried it on a piece and it looks great.

Question, when should apply the sealer, before setting, before grouting, or after grouting?

I did seal a piece that I intend to set on my countertop I hope that doesn't cause issues when I grout?

GeorgeT 10-08-2008 01:29 PM

Hi Paula -

Generally sealers are applied after stone is set, grouted and cured. Often a type of sealer called a "grout release" is applied to textured stone prior to grouting as it aids in the clean-up of grout and can also help prevent staining from the color pigments in the grout during the grouting process. Many tile setters often use their regular sealer as a grout release while others use products designed specifically for use as a grout release.
The polished stone probably could be grouted without using a grout release but if the accent tiles are textured you may want to do those.
Enhancer Pro can be used pre grout but let it cure for 36 hours at least (72 is better) before grouting.
You may want to enhance around the one tile you already did.... it could wind up darker than the others as it would have one more coat than the rest.....