Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Works In Progress Or Finished Pics (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70412)

tuckertile 05-15-2011 07:08 PM

yup 2 weeks [ tear out, framing, prep and tile] no plumbing or electrical for me...

MarkTarkus 05-15-2011 07:28 PM

2-3 weeks is average for me for a custom master bath...and I just do tile, sometimes demo. I'm on one now that will be 4 weeks by the time I'm done. I've spent longer on bathrooms before.

As long as you're charging enough then what's the rush?

I'm slow but I'm always pleased with the outcome.

tuckertile 05-15-2011 07:35 PM

thaz right mark!

Hammy 05-15-2011 07:38 PM

Im slower than all of ya'll. But you know what........... I dont care. HO ask how long it will take? Standard answer: "Til I get done . But I only work on one job at a time and it's yours ."

tileguynky 05-15-2011 07:38 PM

posted by Jason,
Quote:

The other day I walked out to the truck to get something then had to sit there and think about what i went to get.
I was told that is called Hereafter Syndrome. As in, can't remember what I came out here after.

Luke, I am slow. I can admit that. I have been known to spend a full day on layout and drawing it on the walls. I learned at a previous employer that "...if you fail to plan, you have planned to fail." Perhaps I take it a little too far. I have been described by a builder as being an OCD tile man. Of course, we have a working relation that he knows if I say we need another layer of plywood the only discussion we are going to have about the plywood is who is going to do the work.

MarkTarkus 05-15-2011 07:50 PM

Hammy and Greg :goodpost:

All of us slow guys would probably agree to that. But I guess that's like the small guy who says size doesn't matter right?:whip:

Levi the Tile Guy 05-15-2011 07:57 PM

Yeah but I doubt that guy really believes it Mark. I am super slow too, but I usually bid my jobs so it makes up for that. I garauntee that I couldn't stay in bidness in an area that guys are charging $3 or $4 bucks a foot. Now on wide open floors I can get a few hundred feet in a day set sometimes, but no way I can slam out the footage on showers, chopped up floors, or pattern floors.

Chad Deiter Company 05-15-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marktarkus
I'm slow but I'm always pleased with the outcome.

I feel the same way. And as long as I keep getting referrals then I will keep it that way too.

MNTileGuy 05-15-2011 08:16 PM

Nice to hear there's a good number of slow guys out there. I don't feel so lonely that way. :crazy:

I've often wondered if it would be more profitable to just slap it in as fast as possible like most of the hacks around here. I have that little hang up about being able to sleep at night that stops me, but you gotta wonder sometimes...

tilelayer 05-15-2011 08:19 PM

YAH Greg,

Layout is the most important part of the job, on layout days i show up and 7 and usually don't start tiling till 9. Its gotta be a good layout.

Higher Standard Tile 05-15-2011 08:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is an exterior shower I just finished in the Kaanapali Pinnacle subdivision.

It is a nice custom home that was completed about 5 years ago. The existing floor and walls were slate with a two tone (traventine on the seat, slate on the face) bench.

We replaced the tile on the bench and the floor. We cleaned and sealed the existing slate tile on the walls.

The existing shower floor was not properly sloped so water puddled, and the slate floor and cement grout were hard to maintain. The client selected Florida Tile Legend HDP color Magna. We used 6"x 6" on the shower floor and covered the bench with 24's. Everything was installed with Laticrete 253, and grouted with Spectralock Natural Grey. Used Latisil on all the perimeter joints.

These pictures are the before and the dewalt, t3 razor combo cutting the 24s.

Hamilton 05-15-2011 08:23 PM

I'd rather be lucky than good, but I would much rather be good than fast. I told Chad the other day while we were setting this floor we are on, its my sixth project in the one house. I guess I'm patting myself on the back, but my plan of not being too fast, nor too slow works. Even when I lose money, or don't make what I thought I would I always keep in mind that good work leads to more work. I stick out the job and get it done to the best of my ability regardless.

Quote:

I don't watch my guys work with a sandwich in one hand and posting my 42,000th smiley on the forums with my iphone in the other.
Funny.

Higher Standard Tile 05-15-2011 08:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the finished pics. If you need a porcelain that looks like slate this tile is a good option.

silvercitytile 05-15-2011 08:29 PM

Very Nice Isaac:tup2:

tuckertile 05-15-2011 08:40 PM

yup yup isaac....look's great!:tup1: