Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   shower grout type and grout width questions (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20166)

BeamMeUpScotty 02-13-2005 08:49 AM

shower grout type and grout width questions

Good morning all

I'm installing 8"x12" porcelan tile in a tub alcove. I've heard about a water-based epoxy grout....any opinions on this? Also, I'm debating whether to use 1/16 or 1/8 grout width. I was told by a general contractor that it is not wise to use unsanded grout in a shower and he recommended 1/8 sanded. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!!
Scotty

Davy 02-13-2005 10:54 AM

I don't mess with epoxy grout, can't help you there.

I would measure a few tiles to see how precise they are made. Some are out of size and hard to run a tight joint. For unsanded you'll need about 1/16, Probably safe to open it up to 1/8 and use sanded, I think a 1/8 joint looks good with 8x12 tiles.

tileguytodd 02-13-2005 11:30 AM

I am familiar with Epoxy and at 1/8" can advocate the use of a sanded grout mixed with epoxy.
Hydroment 1900 series is an affordable epoxy that is one of the easiest I am aware of to use.
Now this is not a Solids epoxy which i would never ever reccomend to a DIY er.It is far too difficult to work with.Ive been in this along time and a solids epoxy still raises the hair on the back of my neck ;)

DCContractor 02-13-2005 11:38 AM

Epoxy modified grout

Scotty,

I asked a similar question a week or so ago (see thread "epoxy or no"). I received some useful answers.....

I had a customer request Spectralock (modified epoxy by Laticrete) for a bathroom a year or so ago. The tile contractor said it was not that bad to work with, but I don't know how it stacks against 100% solids epoxy for durability and stain/mold inhibiting.

My brother (an advanced DIY'er) grouted a shower about 12 years ago with an epoxy product from ColorTile, he doesn't remember exactly what it was (100% solids or modified epoxy ) but remembers extreme difficulty with the application. The grout is white and has exhibited very little if any yellowing. I own the house now and am constantly impressed and pleased with the low maintenance and good looks of the grout regarding lack of stains and ease of cleaning. Mold does not seem to be able to get a real hold on this stuff, whatever small amount does show up seems only to get on the surface and is easily completely removed with a bleach and water solution (no staining). Also, the corners were grouted (never caulked, never cracked) which eliminated the caulk maintenance problem.

I really want to know if the modified is anything like the 100% solids. If it were I would definitely use it for my own and any others if they were willing to pay for it. I plan to contact that customer and ask about the stain/mold growth on their shower with the Spectralock. Don't have time to do it now but later today maybe, I'll post their comments.

tileguytodd 02-13-2005 11:42 AM

I used Hydroment 1900 in a 25 person Spa at a YMCA with its chemicals etc causing 6 month regrouts with a standard grout.
Hydroment included a 5 year warranty for this particular commercial application. At that point,residentially i expect it will be more than sufficient ;)