Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Phil's Shower Project (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84020)

dhagin 04-26-2010 09:06 AM

NobleSeal and Kerdi are not the same, but they are similar surface applied sheet waterproofing membranes. Installation methods are different, seaming is also different.

Which is least expensive for YOU depends on where you get each and your specific location. For that, you'll need to make the calls and pencil it out. :)

420benz 04-26-2010 09:21 AM

I will probably stay with Kerdi. Also what do you think about Fundo Floor Bases?

420benz 04-26-2010 01:26 PM

I think they can be cut to size.

dhagin 04-26-2010 01:31 PM

If you're talking about the foam bases, I don't use em. Sand & cement is just too easy and inexpensive. If using one of these, is the existing drain line stubbed up in the right place?

The foam bases are ideal for, and more suited to non-residential projects where the plumbing & showers are designed around one of those pre-fabbed bases. Like hotels and similar.

420benz 04-26-2010 02:40 PM

I just spoke to a salesman in my area from Wedi,and he climes that his system is better then Kerdi[what else is he going to say]. The only thing i like about Wedi is the fact that the walls can be installed directly onto the studs. I don't like there drain system which relies on a rubber gasket. I would like to use there pan with the Kerdi drain and Kerdi over sheetrock because i think that the Wedi panels are probably very expensive.I don't know if the Kerdi drain will fit over the Wedi pan.

dhagin 04-26-2010 03:02 PM

I don't recommend mixing materials, methods and systems. Too easy to mess up and you're basically creating an untested system.

I do recommend picking one manufacturers system, following all their installation instructions and being successful first time. Wedi, Noble, HydroBan, RedGard, Kerdi, etc....... lot's of good, proven and tested choices. :)

cx 04-26-2010 04:33 PM

I presume this is the same shower but you've now given up on the TileRedi pan, Phil, so I've combined the thread again. We can give it a more generic title whenever you're ready to give us one. :)

420benz 04-26-2010 04:41 PM

CX: When i finally pick a system,can i start a new post called Phil's Shower Project? I will have all of the materials i need and i would like to ask questions as i go.

cx 04-26-2010 05:00 PM

We'd always prefer to keep the project on one thread, Phil. Too much history is lost otherwise. It can be helpful for the folks trying to help to know even that you've considered and abandoned a number of other options before arriving at what you intend to use.

If you'll give it a generic title and just stay with it, folks will find it very easy to keep up with what you're working on. It'll still rise to the top of the queue with each new post and folks will recognize it.

It really does help. :)