Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Custom Shelves (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107518)

Kilauea 05-27-2013 05:15 PM

Custom Shelves

4 Attachment(s)
Ive been trying to get new ideas for shelves.Ive gotten alot of ideas from this forum but the pics ares scattered on different threads.Rod has a cool one on the "Bench" thread,and alot of them are on the "Progress" thread.

Most of my shelves are made with my wet polisher,but it had been in NJ getting fixed and I had to come up with a quick solution.

Here is what I came up with-

1.Two triangular pieces with the front edge mitered.
2.The bottom piece sticks in like how you would normally notch it,with the bottom facing upward.
3.The next piece (not notched,of course) goes directly on top
4.Lastly,a sliver the width of the two tiles gets mitered on both sides and goes on the front,and also needs a miter on each end two fit tight against the wall.

I used the Dewalt with Razor to cut this with,extremely accurate combo .I was pretty excited when it worked.

Here are some pics-

Kilauea 05-27-2013 05:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It just so happened that my next project happened to be an app with multicolored slate.We all know how pretty the surface can be,but not so much the body.This help to give it an illusian of thru body color......

HS345 05-27-2013 06:46 PM

Wow, very cool solution L.T. :tup2:

Luckily for me, my local supplier carries a wide variety of stone shelves.

gueuzeman 05-27-2013 07:24 PM

Keeping the tile glaze as the exposed surface is in some ways better than the polisher exposing the porcelain body.

DeWalt saw to the rescue!!!

great post, L.T.!!

Kilauea 05-27-2013 07:46 PM

Thanks,guys.Hopefully this will encourage all of u to post some custom shelves!Thanks IA

evan1968 05-27-2013 07:55 PM

That's the sizzle LT...nice job!:usflag:

josephlewis 05-27-2013 08:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made these last week. Customer wanted the accent tile as the front of the shelves.
Attachment 144996
Attachment 144997

Kilauea 05-27-2013 09:07 PM

Wow.Right off the bat.

Killer shelf,bro!

jwmezzanotte 05-27-2013 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LT
I have built quite a few of those, and posted pictures (you areright, all over the place. This thread is a great Idea!)
The only thing I do differently is sandwich a third piece of tile in the center to thicken it up a bit.
Heres a niche with shelves I did recently.

jwmezzanotte 05-27-2013 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And on a job last year, I forgot (:bang::tazebro::complain: ) to install the corner shelves that the customer had asked for.

Made these up with stainless steel "biscuits" (washers) to install in the grout lines after the shower was finished. I cant claim that idea, stole it here on this forum somewhere.
Great idea though as an option for adding shelves later.

Kilauea 05-27-2013 10:00 PM

Wow,even more than th 1st wow!

See,this just goes to show how much great minds think alike.Very much liike the clovis point!

TileArt1 05-27-2013 10:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Used the upside-down triangle as the base with one piece of the glass liner across the front, bullnose on top with fill-in triangle in the back. Continued the glass one from each wall to continue the pattern.

PetrH 05-27-2013 10:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
for me it's definitely solid rock or nothing. I pick up free scraps from counter top manufacturers and shape them. Mostly I try to get the softer rocks like Marble, Limestone, and travertine. The hole holds a razor.http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...1&d=1369716802

Hank B. 05-27-2013 10:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some shelves

jwmezzanotte 05-27-2013 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Petr,

I like that also. Sink cutouts are gold for me. I'll hoard them whenever I get the chance. Although that doesn't happen often around here. Shipping to the middle of nowhere for slabs is killer!
Btw, I like the razor holder. May steal that one day ;)

Sometimes though, I like the look of using the field tile to have a shelf blend in. Cant wait to do a couple with my dewalt :) Using my old mk 370 for that was tough..