Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Phil's Shower Project (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84020)

cx 03-28-2010 01:25 PM

Phil, if you'll keep all you project questions on one thread it'll help folks see what you're workin' on and what's been previously asked and answered. Thanks. :)

420benz 03-28-2010 01:40 PM

Will brick adhere to tile?

cx 03-28-2010 02:06 PM

Well, a fella would need to use some sort of bonding material, Phil. Don't know that any sort of brick would adhere to any sort of tile otherwise. Certainly not a ceramic tile.

What am I missing here?

420benz 03-28-2010 02:11 PM

I thought i was on the same post.

420benz 03-28-2010 02:12 PM

Will brick adhere to tile?

Deckert 03-28-2010 02:14 PM

He wants to thinset his bricks (for his curb) to the existing tile floor CX.

I would just cut the tile and thinset my bricks to the concrete. If you just can't or won't cut the tile back, then scuff up the tile (id score/scuff it with an angle grinder and diamond blade) and use a good modified thinset to stick your bricks down. But it really isn't the way I would do it.

420benz 03-28-2010 02:20 PM

XC: I think u moved this post to the wrong title. It belongs on Installing curb on slab.

cx 03-28-2010 02:26 PM

Phil, we can change the title to something generic any time you'd like to suggest a name. :)

But my response to the question is the same. You need some kind of bonding agent as Brannigan is describing. Depending upon what kind of tile surface you have, thinset mortar may stick to it just fine.

Still better to remove the tiles there, as he's also recommending.

My opinion; worth price charged.

420benz 03-28-2010 02:33 PM

If not Kerdi ????? and Installing curb on slab are two different posts. Now they are both combined.Can you put it back the way it was? BTW: I will remove the tile.

Crestone Tile 03-28-2010 02:39 PM

Phil,

They (the forum mods / owners) prefer that everything remains in the same thread if it relates to the same project. It's easier for people helping out to know the entire scope of what's going on with your project.

Hardly applies to me though since I'm too lazy to read back more than two posts. :)

420benz 03-28-2010 02:56 PM

The only point i am trying to make here is that they are two totally separate Posts and should not be combined.

cx 03-28-2010 03:20 PM

Point we're trying to make is that it's the same project and if the questions are kept on the same thread the people trying to help you can see the history of the project and what's been previously asked and answered, Phil. Keeps from having a lot of Q&A to clarify information that already exists elsewhere.

Again, the title can be anything you like. Just name it. It doesn't really matter at all once some folks start following the thread.

Brad Denny 03-28-2010 03:32 PM

Thanks for putting this all together, CX.
As I read the rest of the story, Phil, you do probably want to use bricks. Again, we don't know what kind of tile you have existing on your floor, but if you can't bond directly to it with thinset, you should be able to cut the tiles back with an angle grinder to the place you want to put the new curb. I would not attempt to shoot through a 2x4 and tile. Cutting out 6" of tile won't be that big a deal in the long run.

420benz 03-28-2010 07:08 PM

If i elect to use 2x4s and cover them with the Noble curb,what type of wood should i use?

Shaughnn 03-28-2010 07:10 PM

Phil,
*ALWAYS* kiln-dried lumber in the curbs. If you aren't going to use brick, then use kiln-dried.
Shaughnn