Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Half completed tile flooring, unacceptable workmanship? (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80784)

<{Kris}> 01-15-2010 02:14 PM

Half completed tile flooring, unacceptable workmanship?

5 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

We are replacing the flooring in our bathroom for the first time. Our contractor left after a days of work with one of the bathroom half completed, below are some of the pictures:

We don't know anything about tiling but from looking over what's there now we are not too impressed. The tiles are not level as you can see form some of the pictures and some tiles are not even with the others.
The gaps between the tiles and the bathtub seems excessively large as well.

Are we worrying too much and the floor will be fine after grouting and completed? Or should we stop the contractor now before they do more work that we will deem unsatisfactory?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kris

tileman2000 01-15-2010 02:21 PM

Hi Kris,you're photos didn't come up..I think you need a couple more posts before you can add photos.From your description,it seems the tile isn't being put down right...there shouldn't be uneven tiles or different grout sizes.

What type of tile are you putting down?

What did he use for an underlayment?

There's many factors,but doesn't seem like a quality install.Also,the grout won't fix the problems that you see.Talk to the installer and see if he can fix what he started...if he can't might be time to call someone else.

ceramictec 01-15-2010 02:22 PM

the different height in the tiles are not good, doesn't look like too much care was taken when setting.
the different size grout joints might be from different sized tile, we cant say.
if the tile were of perfect calibration then it would be not good.

Quote:

Or should we stop the contractor now before they do more work that we will deem unsatisfactory?
grout does fix a lot of things but not bad workmanship.
I would bring these items up to him and ask him to fix it prior to grouting.

Edthedawg 01-15-2010 03:27 PM

Kris,

you should be able to attach pix in the "Manage Attachments" popup - look just under the text entry panel where you type in your text. If your images are too big, just re-size 'em down a lil' and try again :)

MudMaker 01-15-2010 03:59 PM

Howdy Kris,
Welcome to the Forum.. :D
What Brian has shown in the first pic is "Lippage" which looks to be unacceptable.. It could be the tiles, and it could be the setter, in any case, you don't want to continue until this is resolved...
I usually leave about an eighth of an inch to caulk at the tub/wall interface... How large is the gap??

ceramictec 01-15-2010 04:08 PM

if you guys double click on his picture links they will pop up for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MM
I usually leave about an eighth of an inch to caulk at the tub/wall interface... How large is the gap??

LAtileman 01-15-2010 05:26 PM

gap next to tub appears fine. It looks like the front of your tub is warped somewhat, this is normal.

Lippage is pretty bad. I've seen worse though.

He's gonna install shoemold rite? It looks like he didn't pull your baseboard, make sure he doesn't grout to the baseboard.

cx 01-15-2010 05:28 PM

Welcome, Kris. :)

We'd much rather you post your photos directly on the thread using the Manage Attachments feature below the Reply dialog box so they become a permanent part of your thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian
if you guys double click on his picture links they will pop up for you.

He ain't got no links upon which to click, Brian. :shades:

My opinion; worth price charged.

jgleason 01-15-2010 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I added the first five pics to the original post. Here are the remaining pics.

From the very first post you can attach pictures. Just click on the paperclip icon in the message menu and it will open the manage attachments window. Five images per post is the max. Pics will auto resize in most cases.

coping skills 01-15-2010 06:28 PM

Hey, although it looks like the tile you are using is pretty cheap, he should be able to deal with the difference in sizes by going with roughly 3/16" grout joint by snapping lines and fudging it out. The second to last picture is terrible.

Lippage appears to be around 1/16" which is within reason, but the guy didn't even pull the base,what's up with that? Is he putting in new shoe?

Should be okay by the tub after he caulks it.

Mind my asking what you're paying for this?

Brian in San Diego 01-15-2010 06:32 PM

Looks like pretty poor workmanship to me, Kris. I'm a rank amateur and I could do better than that.

Brian

ceramictec 01-15-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cx
He ain't got no links upon which to click, Brian.

He had them until Joe added the pics.
remember your computer is smarter then us. Even if the text is there and doesnt have a blue underline you can still double click it and you will go to the location.

Houston Remodeler 01-15-2010 06:39 PM

That double click thingee didn't work for me no matter how hard I cranked the handle on the side of my puter.

tilelayer 01-15-2010 06:39 PM

I set that stuff last week, I think. Its a cheap tile, varies alot in size. I chalked it for an 1/8th inch joint and started laying it and as soon as 4 were down I had to re chalk for 3/16ths joint. I see thinset all over the baseboard too.

He laid em too tight lipping allowance is 1/16th of an inch anything else is unnacceptable its in the handbook.

cx 01-15-2010 06:39 PM

The text of the urls was there when I posted that, Brian. I could click on'em all day long and it wouldn't have taken me anywhere 'cept maybe to the doctor for my carpel tunnel problem. :)

And I'm well aware that my computer is smarter than I, but thank you for pointing it out. :D