Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   The Mud Box (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I need your home building expertise (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131801)

Rigo 01-03-2022 12:15 AM

I need your home building expertise

2 Attachment(s)
CX or anyone, I need your help. Im having a home built and just realized after a month that my roof was waaaay off. I called and asked the builder why it wasn't like in my plan and he said that builders dont always build to plan. He said my design would have been prone to leaks in the future and did it his way. Yet he didn't tell me. My question is, is he full of crap or is his design better?

Sorry for not being a tile question. Those will come in the future im sure on this house.

Tool Guy - Kg 01-03-2022 12:33 AM

That’s a rather large design deviation from the plan.

I’m kind of surprised the building inspector didn’t put the brakes on the rough framing inspection because the original drawing’s specs and roof truss (I’m assuming trusses) calculations have been altered. Did the builder submit any sort of change to the inspector?

While I’m interested in what the overhead drawing looks like to make sure there isn’t something impossible to build, the first thing I’d want to know is: who drew the plan….and what does the contract say?

:)

Rigo 01-03-2022 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
KG read line B. I think that's it right there.

Tool Guy - Kg 01-03-2022 01:07 AM

Thanks for the document. Yeah, that says that the builder is supposed to build it per the plans.

Oh, crud.

Whether the builder actually acted to change the plan to make it a more sound design…or if they’ve made a big-arse blunder and are attempting to BS you with that line about it leaking less, it appears they are not in compliance with the contract.

Time to gather facts and photos and documents. I’d be visiting the inspector to ask the status of this change, my lawyer to review my rights and responsibilities and what options might be available, and my banker to let them know of the unapproved material change so that an inappropriate draw is not made. I’m not going to pretend to be a lawyer, but I’ll mention something that is likely useful. A written letter sent certified mail is probably in order. I’d avoid signing any new documents from the builder until your trusted legal team and you decide what to do.

Rigo 01-03-2022 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thx for the reply KG, I am gonna talk to the builder tomorrow and tell him to change it according to plan. I think the rain issue is bs too. He builds beautiful homes and is why I went with him. Here is what the top is supposed to look like.

Gozo 01-03-2022 07:05 AM

Is the under roof area planned to be part of a vaulted ceiling, or attic space over a flat ceiling? With the roof as built, it looks like it will significantly affect the aesthetics of the bedroom area behind the garage if a high ceiling line was designed/desired.
Don’t take crap from the builder. He’s out of there in a few months; you’re there for years. I’ve be fixing stupid stuff in my house for 30 years now. Don’t be me.

Rigo 01-03-2022 08:43 AM

Hi Jeff, all ceiling heights were built to plan.

cx 01-03-2022 08:49 AM

Rigo, that's a pretty dramatic deviation from the planned front elevation and will certainly affect other aspects of the construction. Why was it done? I would guess the "builder" (usually just a GC, not a Builder), thought it much easier to build his "design" than your plan, which is probably true.

Keep in mind that tract home builders' crews are accustomed to building the same design over and over and, if you chose a design from his list, his crews may have simply made a mistake and framed a #34 rather than a #24, or something similar. I built only custom designs, some of them mine, when I was in the business and have no experience with the "packaged" plans.

While it is possible there was some significant flaw in the actual drawings for the structure (yes, it does happen), there is no acceptable explanation for his making a change to your design that obvious and that dramatic without the owner's approval.

We'd need more background to determined exactly how this all came about, but suffice to say it's not at all acceptable from your point of view. How it can be corrected is a whole 'nother discussion.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Rigo 01-03-2022 09:40 AM

Thx CX, that's what I needed to hear. I had an architect draw up the plans and I took em to my builder. The guy builds beautiful homes and I went to five under construction before I contracted him. I just called him after reading your comment. It's sounding like his framer mest up for now. And that he is gonna look into what went wrong and how we can fix it soon. I just hope it was the framers fualt and he wasnt trying to pull a fast one on me. Thanks to all you guys for the help, iI have 3 full showers jn this house and will post any issues I see. Hope y'all have a good day.

Carbidetooth 01-03-2022 10:35 AM

There has got to be more to the story. I'll be curious to see how it washes out. Specifically:

1. A GC that isn't paying attention to what his subs are doing is not doing his job. To get this far down the road and not be aware is akin to falling asleep at the wheel.

2. A framing subcontractor making wholesale changes to design without consultation is rogue. Hard for me to imagine how this could happen.

3.If trusses, there would have to be involvement of truss company who built them. They use plans to do their take-off. The more complex roof would likely cost more and take a little more brain power to set.

4.The simpler roof would theoretically manage water better. Valleys are the weakest link in any roof but should not pose a problem given today's roofing materials and technique.

I just don't see how this could be isolated to one individual. Proper resolution is going to be difficult at this stage of construction. A good portion of the roof frame would be involved which will affect all connected to it. What a mess, Rigo. I don't envy your position.

cx 01-03-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter
3.If trusses, there would have to be involvement of truss company who built them. They use plans to do their take-off. The more complex roof would likely cost more and take a little more brain power to set.

And even the most creative framing crew could not make roof B with the trusses designed for roof A in this scenario.

Stick-built roof? Different concept, but the material order would still need some alteration.

Carbidetooth 01-03-2022 11:09 AM

Seems I can't quit analyzing this. Like rubber-necking a traffic accident, my curiosity gets the best of me.

How do you suppose the entry is going to be made to look like plan? Even with finishes yet to be installed, it looks like a different house.

I may need to swat a finger with a hammer to take my mind elsewhere.

lochrie22 01-03-2022 12:32 PM

You have 2 different Ceiling plate heights on the front of the Drawn house.

It appears that they made the ceiling height the same throughout and that's why you have the deviation of the original plan

Like CX said I am shocked the inspector let his dramatic design change fly

cx 01-03-2022 12:58 PM

Chad, it was Goldstein who registered surprise at the design change being accepted by the code compliance officials. In my experience with such inspections, the inspector would pay little or no attention at all to such a change unless he saw some very blatant structural deficiency. Most of my building was done outside such code compliance jurisdictions, though, and I would be the one calling halt to any design change, and it would happen on the same day as the deviation.

As Peter pointed out, the builder's failure to notice or stop such a change, unless he approved it, is unthinkable. Peter equated it to sleeping at the wheel. I would say it was closer to not even knowing who was driving the car.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Rigo 01-03-2022 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, after a hr conversation with the framer and builder. I understand why the roof could not be built the way it was in the plans. He did admit that the framer should have said something when the issue came up. Yep sleeping at the wheel as above mentioned.

He said the issue is the bedroom and garage and the ceiling levels. The bedroom is 13 ft and the garage is 9 ft. There would have been a deep pocket where the planes came together. And I would have had to delete the window circled in red.

He said he will do whatever I want, even tear down the roof and start again with another type of design. Im actually fine with it and so is the wife, I think its best to just leave the roof as is and get upgrades. He also said we can work something out monetary wise or upgrade my tile. Im gonna see if he'll build my patio on him.

I didn't have a patio built cause he wanted to charge the same as living area. Now I think its gonna be on him.