Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   The Mud Box (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How long are we going to pay an arm and a leg for building materials? (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131013)

Tool Guy - Kg 05-16-2021 08:34 PM

How long are we going to pay an arm and a leg for building materials?

Cripes, 2x4s are going for $12. When's this insanity going to end? :bang:

smifwal 05-16-2021 10:31 PM

I paid $7.50 per yesterday. and I was mad about that but now I feel lucky I don't live where you do. I spent $1000.00 on 20 sheets of 5/8 ply and at least another couple of thousand on the 2x's 6/8/10's trying to fix the flip I bought

Gozo 05-17-2021 05:42 PM

I was in HD today picking up some hardware and noticed a fresh load of 2x4. We’re $7.94 EACH! I had to do a double take. A few years ago when I was doing some remodeling they were $.88. I know the cost has gone up with COVID, but never really paid attention. Took a stroll through the lumber section just out of curiosity- same kind of increase across all the lumber.
You hear of scrapers pulling copper out of houses. I’m waiting to hear of all the studs being pulled.
It always seems prices go up quickly but never seem to go down at the same rate. Good news for me … no remodeling projects in my foreseeable future.

Tool Guy - Kg 05-17-2021 05:59 PM

At the local box store, there is a MOUNTAIN of lumber in their back yards. There is nothing like a shortage of any kind going on here.

Raymond S 05-18-2021 03:12 PM

1/2” OSB is going anywhere from 52.00- 64.00 down here. Two years ago if someone tried to charge you 10.00 you felt like they were overpriced. 8.00 was normal.

cx 05-18-2021 04:02 PM

I haven't been to my real lumber yard for more than a year, but at my local Homer's recently I purchased a sheet of 3/8ths" BC plywood and it was 46 dollars. Thought it was some sort of labeling mistake 'till I checked out.

We've seen these price swings in past, but this one looks a bit extreme and I have no real idea what it's about.

I just hope I don't need to build anything any time soon.

smifwal 05-18-2021 07:51 PM

lets say there is a legit reason that things are so high( shortage of lumber, shortage of people to manufacture it or whatever) I feel like they are going to lower the price and everyone will be like :wohoo: but it will never go back down to where it was before. The people that are profiting from this will have some reason that it "can't" go back to the normal price

cx 05-18-2021 09:22 PM

Never let a good crisis go to waste, Shawn. :)

Sclib 05-19-2021 10:57 AM

Lumber Cost Economics...food for thought.

This Guy is in Canada but same thing going on. He’s got a pretty good way of explaining this stuff using layman’s terms. The second video link a little newer and also related.

https://youtu.be/Ei14ks5ggGo

https://youtu.be/ladt31f_k64

Be safe out there!!!

Lazarus 05-19-2021 03:53 PM

I think it'll continue until we get an adult back in charge......

jadnashua 05-19-2021 10:59 PM

Government mandating private industry to do things doesn't work well in the long term. Yes, they may set standards for quality, safety, etc.,but trying to tell a company to spend their own money to say expand production only works if it looks like it's profitable. A little bit of that mandating things happened in the last year or so, using the war powers act, but the government paid dearly for it, which means that we paid for it. In general, neither of the major political parties want to do that. They may create incentives to make it more likely to happen, but there are some severe limits, at least the way our country is generally run, on how big and broad those are.

It would have been good for Texas if the government put a bit more mandate on requiring their utilities to harden their systems for cold weather, or maybe join the power grid network so they weren't a monolithic firewall to the rest of the country to move power around. They've been using windmills in the north for ages, and they survive freezing temperatures all of the time...same with gas-fed power stations...those don't freeze up when it gets cold. Just one small piece of the puzzle...nobody likes being told what to do, and even if it's a good idea, some will resist just because they don't like being told.

JIT production methods are efficient, but throw a wrench in the works, and all hell can break loose. I visited a BMW factory in Munich a number of years ago...they had about 200 tractor trailers a day at 5-minute intervals arriving...those parts got delivered, and moved to the production floor, and were added to vehicles being built that day...none of it was stored, everything was lined up as required to match up with the chassis moving down the line. It's like a fine clock...

Dog paws 05-24-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cx
Never let a good crisis go to waste

Churchill?

cx 05-24-2021 10:07 PM

Couldn't tell you who first said that, Michael, but I know it wasn't yesterday.

John Bridge 05-25-2021 08:21 AM

Also, I think lumber is a commodity on the exchange just like unleaded gas. There are price swings that have nothing to do with supply and demand.

I have just purchased 800 board feet of tongue and groove pine 1x6 to be used as ceiling on our outside covered decks. Paid not quite double what I think the price should have been. :)

Tool Guy - Kg 05-25-2021 10:44 PM

7/16” OSB sheets are $52. :crazy: