Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cliff's Master Bathroom Thread (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130525)

Shaklee3 05-11-2021 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For anyone reading this, the wicking did not affect the line at all. My flood test successfully passed after 24h with no noticeable drop in water!

Shaklee3 05-11-2021 03:55 PM

Another update, and I apologize for all the posts. I cut the quartz curb topper to the proper size and it's ready to go on now that the water test is over. However, after calling 5 different glass companies in the San Diego area, NONE of them said they could install the glass without drilling into the curb. I've read as many posts on this as I can on these forums, and the general rule is that while it can be done, it can be very difficult to find someone that will do it.

For those that had the glass installed with the hole + silicon, has anyone lived to regret it?

ss3964spd 05-12-2021 07:15 AM

How thick is the quartz, Cliff?

While they will want to drill into the quartz to install the brackets, they don't need to drill all the way through it. If the quartz is, say 1" thick they could drill their hole only 3/4" deep. They'd then cut the screw to 3/4", fill the hole with epoxy, set the bracket in place, insert the screw, install the glass. Once the epoxy sets the bracket isn't going anywhere.

Shaklee3 05-12-2021 08:23 AM

It's 3/4" thick. I called about 15 total places last night and I did find one that said they don't have to drill into the curb. I'll keep you updated!

Shaklee3 07-23-2021 10:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just a quick updated on this one. I finished tiling a while ago. I took Davy's recommendation and used Prism on the shower walls and floors instead of FlexColor CQ as I did on the bathroom floor. I really like that grout. Consistent color all around, and was fairly easy to work with.

Next, I was mostly waiting for the glass guys to finish. If you recall earlier in the thread, I couldn't find anyone to NOT puncture the curb doing glass, so I decided to just roll the dice and get it done.

I chose installers that were at the higher price range thinking they would do a better job. Believe it or not, the first time they installed the glass it was a full 1" out of plumb from top to bottom! You can see in the picture how bad it looked with the laser level. The tile grout lines are in a perfectly-straight line, for what it's worth. So they had to remove all the glass and start over, which meant not only did I have to repair all the Kerdi, but now there were holes in the curb and pony wall. The promised to reuse the same holes the second time, but that did not happen and they drilled new holes that are underneath the clamps, probably thinking I wouldn't notice. Anyways, that whole process was awful, and even after the second round, the door is still bowed about 1/4" from top to bottom like C shape. Fixing that would again request taking clamps out, which I just don't want to do.

Anyways, lesson learned, I guess? I'm going to apply as much clear sealer around those clamps as possible, but I know it'll never be perfect.

ss3964spd 07-25-2021 08:10 AM

Good grief, Cliff, how in the world could they install that glass 1" out of plumb!!!

Shaklee3 07-25-2021 02:13 PM

I don't know, and they're a shower glass company with good reviews :bonk:. Used the shower today for the first time and it's working great! Now I need to finish the rest of the bathroom.

Shaklee3 08-31-2021 10:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been done tiling now for a while, but forgot to post the finished pictures. Still working on paint, but here's the final product.

ss3964spd 09-03-2021 07:28 AM

Wow, Cliff, quite a transformation. Gotta be pretty please with how it turned out. Cool tub!

Shaklee3 09-03-2021 10:58 PM

Thanks! And I really appreciate all the answers from everyone in the thread. It made a huge difference in how I went about the shower construction