Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Water Droplet Mark Grey Porcelain Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128958)

txbatson 03-29-2020 03:36 PM

Water Droplet Mark Grey Porcelain Tile

1 Attachment(s)
We purchased classic gray polished porcelain tile and had a local installer install it. We are noticing darker gray spots from water on the tile. I took one of the left over tiles and put a large droplet of water on it and let it set. After wiping the very light white film off the mark, the underside is is a darker gray circle. Trying to clean with water and vinegar didn't address. I know there are other ways of cleaning but can someone explain how this is happening. Will some other form of cleaning fix this? Is it a defect in the tile. Can porcelain tile can be porous and have this staining under the glaze?

txbatson 03-29-2020 04:00 PM

Answering part of my question but now what to do!

So just read the below. I had looked up porcelain tile and it said that it didn't need to be sealed. I didn't realize I needed to designate polished. Sigh. So to elaborate more this was clean water. We live in College Station, Texas which is supposed to have soft water. The water was straight from the tap and clear when I made the droplet.

So what can we do now. If we seal over these spots I assume they will be there forever. If we want to get rid of them do we have to rip up spotted tile and replace?

========
Found Online
Polished porcelain needs to be sealed with a good impreganator sealer. I use Fila porcelain impreg sealer, lay the tiles, give the the full floor a good coat of impreg sealer then grout. Reason you seal polished porcelain is that the polishing process open millions of tiny hols in the tile surface and dirt and grime can get into them and cause dulling. Matt porcelain needs sealing too.

Davy 03-29-2020 04:52 PM

I can't say why this happened for sure but we have seen this on the forum before. Folks have posted pictures of dark shades in showers, usually near the bottom where water has soaked in from the back side turning the clay bisque darker and it showing thru the glaze. All glazed tiles are not equal. Can you share what brand these tiles are and where they are made? I've only seen this once myself and those tiles were Incepa brand which are made in Brazil.

Tool Guy - Kg 03-29-2020 09:25 PM

Does hitting the spot with a hair dryer for a few minutes cause the spot to vanish?

:)

John Bridge 03-31-2020 10:40 AM

"Polished" porcelain should always be sealed before grouting, and some folks seal it right out of the box. Polishing in this case means grinding the surface, which opens up microscopic cavities in the body of the tiles. So your surface, then, is pitted. I don't know how to completely cure the problem.