Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Works In Progress Or Finished Pics (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70412)

Chad Deiter Company 01-31-2009 07:24 PM

I can never get pic to save big enough to see any detail and I have the infraview.:deadhorse

Chad Deiter Company 01-31-2009 07:46 PM

Some stone work

2 Attachment(s)
I'll try this ..

The Kid 01-31-2009 07:50 PM

Great looking wall Chad.:tup2:

Hamilton 01-31-2009 07:54 PM

Looks real nice Chad. I've done a coupla dry stack jobs. Fun stuff to work with:)

Chad Deiter Company 01-31-2009 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yah I actually like to do them sometimes to do something different. Or like now when I do whatever comes my way. :goodluck:

I'm more of a slate guy myself . My favorite stone I think.

Old World Tile and Marble 01-31-2009 09:21 PM

trask no drain in those sinks?

Trask 02-01-2009 01:09 AM

Chad nice stone work..Jason there are drains but you just can't see 'em

Davestone 02-01-2009 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of the stone i'm refinishing.Limestone and travertine rehoning and enhancing sealer.Grinding down with 120 metals, then 120/220/400 resin pads so as not to be too slippery.Normally i'd go to 800's.Using the Mytee to pressure extract the slurry and give it a good cleaning,using D2 for the mildew, and MK alkaline cleaner for the dirt,with a Malish brush on the buffer.

Davestone 02-01-2009 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another,the darker stone right and aft is done, light stone not honed yet.

The Kid 02-01-2009 01:00 PM

:tup2:Nice work Dave, keep it up! Looks like quite a place there.

Davestone 02-01-2009 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mytee is great at vacuuming and scrubbing with high pressure.

Davestone 02-01-2009 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah it's not a bad little shack.:D

Trask 02-01-2009 07:29 PM

I'll say..Man thats an ambitous project.. I'd love to be your helper on that..Hell if I was close I'd pay you to let me follow ya around and maybe hold your cord out of the way:bow:I'd love to get into that sort of thing..we just have so little call for it here on the coast.

Really cool stuff:tup2:

Hamilton 02-01-2009 10:44 PM

I'll be up at 3:30 am tomorrow heading out to Hollywood to Forest lawns.
We are doing a project that involves putting 14" marble panels on walls that
cover urn cubbies. I'll make sure to try and get plenty of pics to share. We'll
be doing another cricket system floor in this mausoleum.

Dave, I really want to learn restoration. Shame you live 3k miles away :D
Looks like the job is easy on the eyes ;)

John K 02-02-2009 05:49 AM

Jack,

Is Forest Lawn the cemetery up on the hill over looking the freeway?

Dave,

Is the Mytee a pain in the ass to use inside, as far as hoses and blown circuits are concerned?:bow:

Davestone 02-02-2009 06:31 AM

It is quite a bit of work for one guy, but there's not enough to split between two guys right now.The Mytee is typical in that you need two separate circuits to run the two vacuums, inlet pump and discharge pump.It weighs about 225 and is a pain, but is much better than a wetvac as far as an intense cleaning and getting rid of the slurry.It has taken me years to get this restoration thing learned and am still learning.There are many classes but it takes hands on of course to fully grasp it.There are five different types of stone here, each requiring different techniques,plus miles of steps and hand work with various machines.:bow:

irish tileguy in michigan 02-02-2009 07:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Heres a master bath room we are working on at the moment for some really nice folks,

Old World Tile and Marble 02-02-2009 07:09 PM

mmmmmm rubi spikes

irish tileguy in michigan 02-02-2009 07:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Heres some more photos,
Came down with a very bad dose of the flu during this install and put me out for a week but the homeowners were very understanding.

Hamilton 02-02-2009 07:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is the Columbarium of Truth and Light ;) This is a mausoleum for urns.
The silver you see is stainless steel privacy panels that basically sit in place
and cover the box the urn sits in. There are no urns in place now, but from
an angle when the marble plates are removed you would be able to later.

The black lines are metal stud framing,
with adjustable screw mount brackets that receive a rosette and screw that
hold these 14" -3/4 thick marble tiles. All tiles are pre-cut with ALL marble veining
matching.
The end caps will be bonded to the concrete walls, the boxes will have statues.
The skinny strip left out will receive a 4"x18" +/- granite chair rail. Cant tell
from these pics but there will be a second color on the walls

I'll be leaving again tomorrow at 4:30 am. Wont be able to answer any questions
until friday. We are getting a room and staying for a couple days. This is
another job for the fine folks at Forest Lawns.;)

custombuilt 02-02-2009 08:44 PM

Jack... So the marble is removable to store the urns? interesting....

tilelayer 02-02-2009 09:10 PM

i just ordered a new camera phone, you guys just wait to see my mastic tiled tub surrounds and 20 sf bathroom 2x2 floors!

Kilauea 02-02-2009 09:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is some stuff in progress....nothin fancy,just spec homes/bread and butter.....

Hamilton 02-02-2009 09:14 PM

Yes, the panels are all intentionally removable and intended to be replaced.
With each bracket, that adjusts vertically...they also adjust side to side.
Also there are spring loaded clips made of stainless that put a forward
pressure against the stone that allow us to adjust for plane and plumb.
On the under side of each bracket is a small L shape piece of metal the
stone rests on. We are using 1/16" horseshoe granite shims to keep the
joint consistent as we adjust the brackets. Its not thinset and mortar, but
any stone setter would understand and take to this within a short time. Today
was my first time working with this system and I actually got quite a few
pieces up. :D I'll try to get some better close ups of the brackets and framing
and report back either thurs. night or friday. ;)

Hamilton 02-02-2009 09:22 PM

I just thought of this, and I personally thought it was funny, but this system
we are using is like the TLS on steroids lol :D

Rob Z 02-02-2009 09:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We have started a kitchen remodel which is pretty interesting. The wall seen in the first photo is the wall between the dining room and the kitchen. This wall carries the load of half of the roof of the second story, brought down through the attic above the kitchen, and down onto the steel I-beam in the basement below. The engineer gave us a spec for a flitch beam, which we have installed in the attic. This beam spans the opening between the kitchen and dining room and bears on two parallams at either end, which then transfer the load down to the I-beam where it is bearing over the block walls in the basement.

We built shoring walls (in the basement, one in the kitchen, one in the dining room and one in the attic) to hold up the roof while we got the flitch beam into place. We used come-a-longs and chain to lift it in place.

I'll have some more shots of this space soon. We have it insulated and closed in now, and we are getting ready to order the heating mat for the floor.

Hamilton 02-02-2009 09:25 PM

L.T. Didn't mean to jump on top of you. I recognize your efforts and have
been there many times. Great pics bro! I gotta get some dinner and climb
in bed. Wish I could hang out later tonight.

Kilauea 02-02-2009 09:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
finishing mud and small kine profiling.....

Thats cool that you get to try something new,Jack,guarantee youre gonna ace it!Unfortanately for us this will be #15 spec home/same house/same layout/same tile/different location.Only difference is were polishing some more stuff just to break the monotany!!////My bad/I think I jumped over you..

tilelayer 02-02-2009 09:34 PM

rob, in the second photo what is that 2x10 or 2x8 doing with the chain around it or laminated beam i cant tell what it is exactly??

kevjob 02-02-2009 09:40 PM

looks like the LVL flitch beam resting on 2x6 with chain for lifting into place?

Rob Z 02-02-2009 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rick,

Here is another photo. It is showing Eddy while he drills the holes for the carraige bolts that are going to assemble the flitch beam. There are two 1 3/4" X 9 /2" LVL's with a piece of 1/2" X 9" steel in between. I think the steel and the LVL's and the bolts all together probably weighed a bit over 400 pounds, maybe closer to 450.

Rob Z 02-02-2009 09:45 PM

Kevin called it! :tup2:

duneslider 02-02-2009 10:17 PM

A piece of steel in the middle! I have never seen that done before, sounds pretty cool.

madronatile 02-02-2009 10:17 PM

Hey LT-

In that last pic in #63 it looks like you're putting fat mud right on dimensional lumber-but in previous pics the curb is wrapped in paper and wire? Never seen it done like that, am I seeing things right?

figured it out on my own-its to screed off. i need to stop pouring curbs.

Chad Deiter Company 02-02-2009 10:21 PM

Thats just to mud in the sides theres wire in the other pics.:goodluck:

duneslider 02-02-2009 10:22 PM

L.T.
I was gonna ask the same thing Matt asked. Never seen anyone putting mud onto the wood like that, whats up with that?

Curb looks very good though, I have a hard time with them. Can't ever seem to get them to look as good as the picture you have.

Kilauea 02-02-2009 10:33 PM

Hey Matt,what happened was I got the order mixed up.I wasnt putting mud ON the wood its just like a spacer to make sure your widths are consistent.You do the sides first/take off the wood then float the top.I learned that technique on the how to mud a curb in the libbery.I do ALL curbs that way,now/you know,bulletproof;)

If you dont use a piece of wood or something youll have a very difficult time getting your curb exactly the same width all the way thru.I dont know if its really necessary but Ill spray a lil water on it thruout the day and trowel over it just to retard a little and make it pretty.It seems like if you dont retard it like this it isnt super solid for traffic the next day.I dunno still learnin...

silvercitytile 02-02-2009 10:37 PM

why is this a sticky

ok there is too many projects going one for on thread. maybe its just me:uhh:

Kilauea 02-02-2009 10:51 PM

Hey wassup,Jeff!Ya know some of us dont have alot of crazy pics all the time but I think almost all of us got things in progress.I have a feelin this is gonna be one busy thread!!!!!:crazy:

Brad Denny 02-02-2009 10:57 PM

I don't think following a particular project is important. Pic's of the gritty day to day process is the idea, right? :dunce: