Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Works In Progress Or Finished Pics (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70412)

tilelayer 03-01-2010 10:27 PM

It should looke like this [QU0TE=person your quoting's name goes here]This is where the text your quoting goes[/QU0TE]

I made the O's zeros so you could see it. Hope this helps.

customceramicsllc 03-01-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilelayer
It should looke like this [QU0TE=person your quoting's name goes here]This is where the text your quoting goes[/QU0TE]

I made the O's zeros so you could see it. Hope this helps.

yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwww:clap2:

tilelayer 03-01-2010 10:43 PM

I did my good deed for the decade! :wohoo:

customceramicsllc 03-01-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tileman2000
JC,

Where is this showroom?I might have to check it out in person.

There's a similiar design at the Tile America I buy from.

is that the one in new haven michael? i did a display there

customceramicsllc 03-01-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad denny
Hey John,
I'm a gonna tell ya how I like to do it...

*Highlight and Copy what you want to quote.

*Paste it in the reply dialog box, then highlight again what you want to quote.

*Hit the button above the dialog box.

*In the first box do the "=whoever" like Rick said after "QUOTE".

It's kinda like tile, hundred ways to do it.

cheers brad,now i think it would be wise to drop this now before we get told off for thread jacking:postitbg:

Brad Denny 03-01-2010 10:55 PM

:tup2:

Higher Standard Tile 03-02-2010 12:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is today's work.

Did the shower, tub surround and entryway/kitchen floor in the unit, then they decided they wanted to redo the lanai.

This is a vacation rental, owned by someone on the mainland but part of a condo/hotel. Owner responsible for the interior of the unit. Hotel company rents it out and charges the owner about 50% of the daily rate. The nicer the unit the higher it is rated so they get more bookings. A lot of these buildings were built between the late 60's to early 90's so they need some new finishes.

The existing 8 x 8 tile was well bonded and set over a waterproof membrane. I prefer to not set over existing tile but the GC did not want to pay for all the demo and new waterproofing. So we grinded the surface of the old tile and because it did not slope to the drain too well and had dips we floated a new bonded mortar bed. The drain is a hole in the concrete curb at the bottom right corner not seen in the photo.

No freeze thaw issues here.

JC Tile 03-02-2010 06:07 AM

homza you trying to hide a body under that mud? How thick is that? :D

looks nice and flat, nice work

ceramictec 03-02-2010 06:19 AM

Mud beds can be deceiving in pictures because of how you are ending and pulling it back at the edge. You can see he's at about just 1" by his perimeter screed line on the right.

tilelayer 03-02-2010 06:33 AM

It looks thinner then 2". I say 1/2". I always wanted to try to bond mud to tile. I hope your not using that stabila level as a straight edge. Thats a no no.

JC Tile 03-02-2010 06:58 AM

yeah it does look like a lot more than it really is.

must be tough working with such a nice view

ceramictec 03-02-2010 06:59 AM

Maybe hes using it as a level....lol

its his level, he can use it as a hammer if he wants :)

Scottish Tile and Stone 03-02-2010 07:03 AM

hahahhaahha^^^^^ DUH

Chad Deiter Company 03-02-2010 08:51 AM

Being that is a condo do you have one of those mortar mixers to mix your deck mud. :tup1:

Higher Standard Tile 03-02-2010 09:50 AM

It is about 1" thick max,,just checking my slope with the Stabila, but I do eventually end up with 2 sets of levels and sometimes use my old ones to pull mud.
I don't have one of those new mixing bits but plan on getting one. I have a husky small concrete mixer for larger jobs but this one was mixed in a little mixing pan. Just a bag at a time. Took 8 bags of sandtopping mix.

Bill Vincent 03-02-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

but I do eventually end up with 2 sets of levels and sometimes use my old ones to pull mud.
Same here. Only with me, it's not "sometimes". :) (Mine are wood levels, though-- they'll stand up alot longer as a straightedge. ;) )

java 03-02-2010 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill, I bet your wood levels won't last as long as these alum. ones.

The Sand's Professional Cast Aluminum Levels are made of a special alluminum alloy, producing a tough casting that is very durable but light in weight. All castings are seasoned, before and after milling, to stabilize the casting and assure the user a level that stays put! Precision-milling insures parallel sides - accurate to .001" from end to end. Will not warp!... will not rust! Not adjustable "Solid Set" Cat's eye yellow vials insure permanent built-in accuracy. All vial openings have protective glass lenses. The edges are painted "Contractor Red".

These are great for tile setters. I have 6 or 7 of them in different lengths. Cost is about a dollar an inch.

I screed with them (along with mud edges), rack wall and floor tile with them, and generally mistreat them. But I keep them somewhat clean and they stay true. Get a new set every 3- 5 year because by then i have broken all the glass out em hitting them with a hammer while using them as ledgers. The open body design makes it easy to find the studs.

Any, I don't use any other levels.

Bill Vincent 03-02-2010 10:54 AM

Well, my 4 footer isn't that old, but only because I gave the last one I had to Adam to use for mudding. One of the level bubbles is still good on it after about 9 years. The 4 foot level I use for mudding now is only about 3-4 years old. My 2 foot mud level, though is about the same age as the 4 footer I gave to Adam. In fact, I think I bought both of them at the same time.

tilelayer 03-02-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by java
Get a new set every 3- 5 year because by then i have broken all the glass out em hitting them with a hammer while using them as ledgers.

Why would you hit a level with a hammer? If anything you can tap it with the handle side of your hammer but thats about it! Stabila levels for me guaranteed accurate for life. nuff said!

java 03-02-2010 04:00 PM

I don't mean to hit the level; just the nail I'm using to hang the level. I really haven't broke all the glass out of them but I always seem to be carrying one or two were that has happened.

And the Sands levels are guaranteed for life.

Say's right on the level "Sands levels tell the truth". If they don't they fix it.

tilelayer 03-02-2010 04:34 PM

CX is going to form a level thread if we keep this nonsense up.

Bill Vincent 03-02-2010 05:36 PM

Don't matter to me if it's level or half cocked-- I'll post to it. :yeah:

ceramictec 03-02-2010 06:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
setting the Marazzi Montagna Cortina 12x12 tile today.
also made 2 corner shelves out of limestone.
cut them, rough rounded them and dry polished with my Alpha pads.

Attachment 70821
ceramic porcelain marble contractor tampa orlando sarasota brandon bradenton lakeland florida
Attachment 70822
stone marble shower soap corner shelf shelve install installer installation
Attachment 70823

Attachment 70824

Attachment 70825

dhagin 03-02-2010 06:46 PM

How long that take ya Brian? Fab the 2 shelves that is...

custombuilt 03-02-2010 06:51 PM

Brian, when are you going to try the rounded shelves? My rounded ones usually take me about 20 minutes to make 2.
Sometimes longer if I drop one :monster:

bctile601 03-02-2010 06:53 PM

Hmm... green grass in pic 1 :tigers:

Tiletim 03-02-2010 06:57 PM

ha ha ha that's the only thing I saw too:wohoo:

ceramictec 03-02-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhagin
How long that take ya Brian? Fab the 2 shelves that is...

about 30mins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by custombuilt
Brian, when are you going to try the rounded shelves? My rounded ones usually take me about 20 minutes to make 2.

my next niche I do I want to see if I can talk the customer into doing one.
I didn't think a corner shelf would look too hot rounded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bctile601
Hmm... green grass in pic 1

yeah it was 74 here today :D
everything is green here. gonna be cold to morrow...56...lol

Tiletim 03-02-2010 07:00 PM

Broke out the short pants today - it was 41

Bill Vincent 03-02-2010 07:09 PM

It was actually in the mid 40's up here today! Mud season is definitely in full bloom. You oughta see my driveway!

custombuilt 03-02-2010 07:31 PM

Yesterday was 60....today it snowed and inch.

Brian, people here are really hot on the rounded corner shelves. They either buy rounded ones from Mosaic tile or I make them. I think I have already made about 10 this year. Just sold a job yesterday with them as well.

Bill Vincent 03-02-2010 07:39 PM

These pics of my driveway were taken last year, but it's what it looks like right now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dSeason001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dSeason003.jpg

Well...... except there's not NEARLY that much snow on the ground!

ceramictec 03-02-2010 08:14 PM

Bill...2 words..........CRUSHED STONES !

tilelayer 03-02-2010 08:19 PM

I like the wetsaw in the 1 photo, true tileman.

JC 03-02-2010 08:22 PM

Brian, you ever cut 1/4 or 3/8 off the points on the shelves to allow for the thickness of the wall tile?

Bill Vincent 03-02-2010 08:29 PM

Brian-- looking to get about 10 yards of 1 1/2" gravel delivered next week. :tup1:

Adam's wife drives a little Olds Alero, and it nearly gets lost in the ruts!

ceramictec 03-02-2010 08:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JC
Brian, you ever cut 1/4 or 3/8 off the points on the shelves to allow for the thickness of the wall tile?

I have done some that way.

Attachment 70836

Attachment 70837

Attachment 70839

JC 03-02-2010 08:49 PM

Well actually I was talking about just clipping the point straight off. so the grout joint is smaller where it abuts the wall tile.

ceramictec 03-02-2010 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
where it returns down I actually back cut the piece of wall tile so it tucks back in there nice.

these I actually cut the shelf square back to the wall.

Attachment 70840

JC 03-02-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

where it returns down I actually back cut the piece of wall tile so it tucks back in there nice.
not sure what you mean:scratch:

See how that last pic you posted returned back to the wall. im talking about the same shape but only a small cut off the end. so the point is the same thickness of the wall tile.

http://surfacesbydesign.webs.com/photos/e.JPG

see how it meets up with the tile height?

I know you have probably done it this way just a communication issue