Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Shower project (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130509)

EricGrant23 02-05-2021 10:13 AM

Shower project

SO glad I found this forum! Lots of super helpful information here! I have done a couple small floors with tile over the past few years, but I am finishing my basement and will be tiling the shower down there myself. It's a 30"x60" shower pan I am using. I have a tight fit where I have framed the walls. I will be using 1/2" Hardiboard on the three walls and the ceiling. I have a few probably simple questions but it seems there are several ways to do things. I am supposed to bring the board down to leave a 1/4" over the lip of the pan, correct? Is this area filled with silicone or mortar? Then the tile gets brought down to leave a 1/4" gap over the pan, is this filled with silicone or mortar? Is there a 1/4" gap left between the panels of the walls and the ceiling Hardiboard? How about between the panels themselves? Because I have wide open access to the studs right now, I will be adding my own niche in the back wall. Is it wise to make sure these smaller pieces of board are as close to each other as possible? Sorry for all of the questions but thank you!

cx 02-05-2021 10:36 AM

Welcome, Eric. :)

We recommend, rather strongly in fact, that you always read and follow the product manufacturers' recommendations and instructions for the products you use.

James Hardie has recommendations in his online instructions to answer your questions, but you hafta skip around a bit (his instructions have never been among his best products). You'll find the recommendation for the gap at the wall/receptor junction, but the between-panel gap is found only in the counter-top and floor instructions.

I personally recommend you not caulk the gap between wallboard and receptor, but see my warranty information below.

I would not recommend you install the Hardiebacker on the ceiling and James Hardie publishes no instructions for that application that I'm aware of.

Well, truth be known, I wouldn't use the Hardiebacker in a shower application at all, but that's a different discussion.

My opinion; worth price charged.

EricGrant23 02-05-2021 10:54 AM

Thanks for the quick reply CX. I typically put a lot of research, questions, and asking for advice into these projects and that's where the frustration lies. One gets so many varying answers, solutions, and suggestions and I'm just trying to figure out what works best for my situation. The gentlemen at the tile store recommended Hardiebacker on the ceiling, which is why I purchased another sheet for that. I did a lot of research on Hardiebacker vs. CBU and it just looks Hardiebacker was easier for a DIY install. I wouldn't be tiling my ceiling, so would I be better off just using standard drywall?

jondon 02-05-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

posted by Eric:
I wouldn't be tiling my ceiling, so would I be better off just using standard drywall?
Yes if you are not tiling it you certainly would not be using a cement board because you will paint it, so standard sheetrock is fine or the green stuff.

Tile is a challenge because yes we all have our own ways of doing it, but the bottom line as CX mentioned for any product you use you have to use their guidelines. If you do a hybrid shower like most do these days they work, as long as the respective product is put in correctly. Your shower must be waterproof bottom line and most important before tile goes in. Tile is artistry.

EricGrant23 02-05-2021 11:41 AM

Understood. I'm an avid DIY'er and love learning new things. I'm doing the whole basement finish myself (outside of the mudding/taping :blah:). The bathroom is what I'm most excited about and trying to indulge myself as much as possible.

cx 02-05-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon
...so standard sheetrock is fine or the green stuff.

Standard white drywall is fine. If you use the "green stuff" your framing must meet different specifications.

I do not recommend using MR Board (green stuff) on your ceiling in the shower or anyplace else in your home for that matter. No advantage of which I'm aware and some disadvantages in your application.

jlbos83 02-05-2021 05:03 PM

I haven't work the a real CBU, but Hardi is a bear to cut! Just so you know! And not the best for a shower, if you ask me. I used it on a countertop, thought it would be easy. Came out fine. But not easy!

EricGrant23 02-25-2021 06:37 PM

DIYer about to start

I'm an avid, decent, DIYer. I have finished my basement entirely by myself and just have the bathroom left. I have a Mustee 3060l shower pan and will be tiling the walls. The alcove framed out in the bathroom is exactly 36"x60" and is a perfect fit for the pan. I'd like to put my own personal touches on the bathroom, as the wife has had the say for the rest of the basement. I have several questions, but I'll just start with some simple ones and I'd love feedback. I will be using 1/2" Hardiebacker (I know it's not everyone's favorite but it's what I already have sooo...). I have done some tiling in the past, but never a shower. We are looking at getting 12x24 tiles. Would this be OK and not too difficult or agonizing to install myself? 1/8" grout line recommended? Sanded vs Un-sanded? The Hardiebacker will obviously butt up to regular drywall, am I best off using tile trim for the outside walls? Would the tile extending the full 36" be an issue? Just a few inches past the door, but the entire alcove wall. Do I bring the trim right up to the outside corner? How about on the back wall? Should the trim be on the edge of the Hardiebacker or is on the joint ok? What's the best tool for cutting Hardieboard for the piping, niche, etc? Sorry! A lot of questions rattled off, but as usual when it comes to a challenging project, my head is spinning! TIA so much!

cx 02-25-2021 08:31 PM

Eric, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

Lot of questions with not much background, I'm afraid. A photo or two would certainly help give us some perspective on the project.

You understand that there is no 1/2" Hardiebacker? There is Hardiebacker 500, which is closer to 7/16ths" thick and presents some challenges when matching up with adjacent drywall when applicable.

You can use any size tile you like in your shower, of course. How agonizing the 12"x24" tiles will be for you I cannot say, but you will need to pay very close attention to making the walls very flat for tiles that size.

The grout joint width will depend mostly upon the size variation of your tiles and I trust we don't yet know that.

Grout type will also depend upon grout joint width and tile surface.

Can't address your trim questions without knowing more about your tile and aesthetic preferences. You most certainly want your CBU and waterproofing membrane and tile to extend a few inches past the front of that shower receptor I took the liberty of linking in your post. The waterproofing of the shower is far more important than the aesthetic considerations and you want to get that part right.

You can cut and drill and grind Hardiebacker outdoors using most any carbide tipped or diamond tools so long as you wear the appropriate PPE. It's really, really dusty to do that indoors.

Let's start with that and see where it takes us.

EricGrant23 02-25-2021 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Holy crap CX, thank you! I am waiting on the plumber to run the water lines so I've had some downtime to think about the shower project. I have attached a picture to hopefully give a little more insight into the project. I do realize the Hardiebacker is 7/16". Luckily I have a very skilled finisher lined up. I also did the majority of the framing so I am confident the walls are straight and plumb, verified by level and laser.

cx 02-25-2021 09:58 PM

Looks like you're not done framing. You're planning a door on this shower?

EricGrant23 02-25-2021 10:00 PM

Just about done. Just need to install the studs for the doors to be anchored into (which will be done tonight). Any other recommendations?