Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Removing caulk & replacing (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7299)

OnAMission 08-12-2003 07:19 AM

Removing caulk & replacing

Quote:

Originally posted by tileguytodd
.... replace your caulking as needed(ussually every 2-3 years) This will help to keep your shower serviceable for many many years :)
OK ... I missed asking this question earlier ... how the heck do you remove the residue of that blasted silicone caulk? It's good stuff ... I guess ... but once you finally get the bulk of it peeled away ... you are left with a residue on the edges.

It's my understanding that the caulk needs to be fully removed in order for another layer to adhere properly. I've tried denatured alchohol, scraping with a plastic putty knife and finally resorted to fingernails (of which I have not much left.) Is there a less frustrating method to cleaning that gunk off? (I don't have any problem with the 'tub & tile' caulk they used that wasn't silicone ... but this silicone stuff is unpleasant!

And what is a good mold 'proof '(as opposed to resistant ... I'll take 'resistant' if I must) caulk to use? That's removeable without driving anyone to drink before they get it all off???

Scooter 08-12-2003 09:58 AM

You did fine. I wouldn't, and don't, try to remove all the caulk. Its impossible. Just get what you can off, and the new will stickily cover up the old. No worries.

I would use any 100% silicone caulk. To me it is all the same. Its like mineral spirits or paint thinner. I tape both side of the joint, install a bead of caulk, and using a finger dipped in mineral spirits, dress the joint. Keep the finger wet with mineral spirits.

OnAMission 08-12-2003 11:03 AM

After I remove the caulk from the cracked grouted areas in all the corners of all my showers ... do I need to remove part of the grout areas and try to get beyond the cracks so the caulk will better cover them?

As it is now ... there is a thin 'skin' of caulk that doesn't seem to be sturdy enough to maintain a seal when things start moving around and the grout starts cracking ... so there's a false sense of security there. You have to look closely ... but you can see where the 'skin' isn't adhering to surface of the tile ... outside the boundaries of the grout.

KingsCup 02-22-2004 03:50 PM

We must have had the same Houston builder... I have the same thin caulk hiding, and almost sealing, cracked grouting underneath. The builder did use silicone caulk and the fact that it rips right-off shows it wasnt a good seal, I guess.

How thorough do I need to be in removing the grouting in the corners?

The tiles are natural stone. Does that make a difference in the choice of silicone vs latex?

thanks

Davy 02-22-2004 06:46 PM

I normally take a razzor blade and cut out all I can. Wash it with a cloth and Acetone, it'll evaporate quickly. I don't like using silicone but would rather use a colored caulk.;)

bbcamp 02-22-2004 06:53 PM

The problem is trying to caulk over cracked grout. The grout must be cleaned out of the joint first, then the caulk will have some more surface area to stick to.

KingsCup 02-23-2004 09:11 PM

My knuckles are ripped and my fingers sore. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong trying to get the grout out of the corners. The razor blade wasn't doing much, a screwdriver did a lot better, but this is taking hours and I've barely done one of the corners. Should I buy something to get the grout out?

I've heard of grout saws but I'm thinking they will have trouble getting into the edges?

No problem getting the silicone caulk out thought :-)

Regards, John

David Taylor 02-23-2004 10:20 PM

There is a silicone caulk remover available in gel form. You'll take off the excess, apply the remover and wait about 10-20 minutes. Take a paper towel and clean off the excess.

As Davy says, acetone will work - but the gel doesn't run off and there's no elbow grease involved.

Lorna 02-24-2004 02:33 AM

I have questions regarding same subject.

Should I push or pull when applying caulk?

Is Colorfast a good caulk to use in bath?

John Bridge 02-24-2004 07:58 AM

Hi Lorna, :)

Pull.

ColorFast is fine. You have to let it cure about a week, though.

Have a pail of water and a sponge handy -- a good size tile sponge. Place a bead of caulk, run your finger over it to push it in a little and then immediately begin wiping along the joint with the sponge. Wring the sponge out constantly. When you see the joint straighten out and all excess caulking has been removed, stop. ;)

KingsCup 02-24-2004 12:03 PM

It's the grout I'm having a tough time with. Even though it is cracked because of the wall movement, it is very, very, very enthusiastically stuck to the tile.

Compression with a screwdriver to push the grout backwards seems to be working the best, but I am extremely uneasy the screwdriver is going to slip and scratch the stone. I'm going to swing via Home Depot tonight to see if they have something (a dremel?)

Thanks, John

bbcamp 02-24-2004 02:59 PM

Look for a grout saw!

T_Hulse 02-24-2004 04:13 PM

A score-all might work for an inside corner. They have em in the tile tools section. It's used for scoring backer board or formica before you snap it. Pointed carbide blade with a handle made to easily put a lot of force right at the tip.

Mildew resistant caulk - any 100% silicone the says Kithen & Bath or Tub & Tile. These have a mildewcide built into them. I have to respectfully say I think Todd is nuts :crazy: to recommend the cheap caulk. That's why he has to replace it every 2-3 years :D. You should never have to replace properly installed 100% silicone caulk unless there is massive settling movement at the joint. Take a look at this thread for some nasty pictures of yellowing cheap caulk. :)

David Taylor 02-24-2004 04:18 PM

Todd and I had a discussion about latex and silicone caulk one day. I'll have to find the thread. :)

KingsCup 02-25-2004 12:00 AM

With my new grout saw from Home Depot I headed back to the shower wth great enthusiasm. About 3 hrs later I began to worry I was the victim of some tilers fraternity gag: "Hey, lets make him get rid of all the grout in the corners, javascript:smilie(':D') "

But then the grout saw made it through, in places, so that cheered me up a little. And definitely made it time to stop for a beer.

But that still leaves the question of when can I stop for good. Do I really have to get rid of all of the grout on the side of the tiles?

Thanks, John