Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ceramic tile floor - wet look sealer? (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130596)

padiyguy 02-23-2021 09:23 AM

Ceramic tile floor - wet look sealer?

I am by no means a tile pro but have done a couple things around my house. My biggest job thus far was a marble backsplash. I've moved on from that and just did a ceramic tile floor.

I am going for the "wet look" on it and it seems there are only a couple products out there for that. One I found is GlazeGuard, but not much info on it on this forum. It's expensive tho.

With the marble I did, it was important to seal it prior to grouting. With a ceramic floor, should I be concerned about sealing before/after grouting? It seems like this glazeguard product wants to go on after grouting. Should I put anything on it prior to grout? How about after grouting before sealing?

Thanks!

John Bridge 02-23-2021 10:17 AM

Hi Dave, :)

The "wet look" sealers you're talking about are called enhancers, and there have been problems with grout when they have been used. It is generally recommended that you use the enhancer before grouting. A lot has to do with the type of tile you've used. A porcelain tile, for example, will not absorb any type of sealer. :)

cx 02-23-2021 10:40 AM

I think the GlazeGuard product Dave is considering is not a penetrating sealer or enhancer, but a polyurethane topical coating.

Manufacturer says it will work just fine in the intended application. I'm a bit skeptical, but have no experience with the product. Indeed, I had no knowledge of its existence until I just Googled it up.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Tile & Stone Guild 02-23-2021 10:53 AM

Long term I would expect to have problems. Long as your ok with Beta testing go for it. Personally wouldn’t use it on anything but a wall application. I say this because eventually it’s going to wear, and they don’t have the type of warranty I’d want.

Tool Guy - Kg 02-23-2021 07:29 PM

Hi, Dave.

Topical sealers are relatively high maintenance. If you’re okay with that, go for it. But realize the film is not what most folks would consider durable.

Most topical sealers are not user-friendly to simply “put another coat on it” when they wear down or show scratches. I just looked on the data sheet using the link CX found and it said that their product is cross-linked polymers. That means that after it cures, the surface has formed a surface that new finish can’t bond to without sanding down the entire surface so that the new layer can ‘bite’ into. That’s not something I’d want on ceramic. I’d be concerned of cutting completely through the finish and leaving a weird line. It’s like having a car with peeling clear-coat. Even with sanding the finish, another layer of clear-coat will leave funny lines between the area of peeling and intact clear-coat.

I’d consider this very carefully before you proceeded.

:)

Davy 02-24-2021 07:41 AM

What the others said. It would have been better to find a ceramic or porcelain that you like, one that has the shiny surface already in the glaze.

padiyguy 02-26-2021 09:07 AM

Thanks to all for the replies. So I probably won't go with that product or anything like that. I don't want to bother with the upkeep.

So I don't need to seal this ceramic floor before grouting based on my limited research. This tile was installed in another part of my house by a tile guy. It looked great after they got done with the install but then after it dried the tile lost it's luster. I don't think they used any sealer before/after.

Is it possible there is a grout haze on it? If so, what can I try to restore the luster?

Also when I install the new floor, no sealer before? What about after, just seal the grout?

Thanks!

Tool Guy - Kg 02-27-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padiyguy
...It looked great after they got done with the install but then after it dried the tile lost it's luster.

Do you have any spare tile that you can lay down next to the installed tiles to compare? If your original tile looks better, it either means that there is a surface contaminant obscuring it (like grout haze)....or the surface has been damaged (not likely unless someone used a very powerful and inappropriate and very dangerous substance like muriatic acid).

Do you have any pictures you could share with us?

:)