Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The ultimate tile cutter (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42746)

shortstuff 11-06-2006 06:06 AM

The ultimate tile cutter

We would like to create the worlds no.1 electric tile cutter, but for this we need your help!

We would appreciate any feedback from which you think is the most superior cutter on the market at the moment, what features you like, what you would change if you could, anything that you would add to make your tiling jobs easier!

I thank you in anticipation and lookforward to your feedback!

smokingtable 11-06-2006 08:08 AM

Hay shortstuff,

I could really use some kind of cutter that will shave different tile to the same thickness.

Jerimiah

Shaughnn 11-06-2006 08:25 AM

Hey there Shortstuff,
Would you care to identify who "we" are? There seems to be a battle brewing presently between "carriage saws" and "rail saws". Then there's the "professional" vs. "occasional use" saws. Then we might be considering portability issues weighed against cutting capacity? The Carver saw is well thought of by those who own them but the Chicago Electric saw probably has more buyers.
I guess the question which your question begs is what sort of a saw do you plan to build?
Shaughnn

Rd Tile 11-06-2006 10:26 AM

I want a saw that you hold in your hand like a pencil, then a lazer comes out of the end or a waterjet system, then you cut the tile like butter anyway you like, just like drawing on it like the pencil, that's what I want. :goodluck:

TTTTttt1 11-06-2006 10:44 AM

I want a saw that will cut and plane porcelain tile, aluminum, mild steel, and wood using the same bit.
Hey, you asked for a dream saw!

Big AL 11-06-2006 11:03 AM

As a DIY'er, I need a lazer to tell me exactly where the cut will be made.
plus, I'm lazy.

Oh, and finally, sell it for under a hundred bucks too!
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

prashster 11-06-2006 11:06 AM

Some dream features I'd like:

1) Ability to change between profiling/cutting blades easier. Perhaps dual arbors that can be independently lowered?

2) Flitration system that keeps recirculating water clean and separates the sludge into a convenient place for scooping into the garbage.

3) Improved protection from misting and overspray.

4) Any way to make it quieter

5) Motor mounted above blade instead of on side so chassis doesn't interfere w yr fingers when completing cut.

shortstuff 11-07-2006 04:04 AM

Thanks guys!!

Your feedback is esential for our market research!!! love the pencil laser idea!!! :tup1: nutter!!

Great feedback shaun thanks.

Our basis was a portable electric saw with a min 1hp, good water return, cutting wheel over 180, full tilting bed, portable unit etc

keep the ideas rolling....

ss3964spd 11-07-2006 09:00 AM

As a non pro who was looking for a saw that does almost everything:

1) Belt drive so that the motor stays out of the way.
2) Quality sliding carriage
3) Quality, high accuracy, blade and carriage adjustment mechanism
4) Extremely rigid motor and blade drive mounting structure to reduce or eliminate flexing especially when the blade starts to get dull.
5) Quality arbor assembly - possibly user adjustable, to ensure no side to side movement of the arbor.
6) Reasonable size table, but with tool-less provisions to easily attach table extentions both to the front and to the side(s)
7) Tilting arbor for miter cuts
8) Table inserts or overlays (to bring the table surface level with the rear fence - the tile can thus hang over the rear of the table) to allow for cutting of tile larger than what the saw can normally accommodate.
9) Effective water supply system with ability to adjust water flow AT the blade shroud.
10) Maybe a quick water hose disconnect at the blade shroud, allowing for a zippy wash down of the table when tile bits accumulate.

For all these features I would gladly pay a premium price.

Dan

Shaughnn 11-07-2006 09:03 AM

Dan,
You forgot "feather-lite"(tm). :yeah:
Shaughnn

ss3964spd 11-07-2006 09:06 AM

Quote:

You forgot "feather-lite"(tm).
Indeed.

11) Make it weigh under 40 pounds. Or, design a nifty folding wheeled stand like what is used for the better portable table saws.

Dan

Iggy 11-07-2006 03:34 PM

As a DIY's, Jack of all trades and Master of none, who finds planning, choosing, laying out, measuring, laying, grouting tile...creative and fun, but tedious and slow going [for me],...I want a saw that will do all of this, for me, for less then $150.00. :tup1: Mike

conscious pilot 11-10-2006 01:06 AM

Husky Tile Saw

I just bought a small light Husky saw from Home Depot. It is very light, on a wheeled stand, has a lazer beam to show you where the cut will fall, has slide out extentions on the table and will cut 16" tile diagonally. Cost,,,,$299! I love it. It also will plunge cut to 2 1/2" I have only been cutting 4"x8"x1/2" quarry tile so far. I cuts fast....Arlan

CargoJon 11-10-2006 01:45 AM

OK, I want a tile saw that works like a band saw, so I can make curved cuts without making 388 little tiny straight cuts.

That would make you the :king:

jdm 11-10-2006 02:40 AM

Jon --

Check out the DL-5000 and DL-7000 diamond band saws . They're not cheap, but will do what you want.