Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cutting small triangles out of Marble (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125015)

M.Audette 03-24-2018 06:37 PM

Cutting small triangles out of Marble

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

My name is Marc and I'm looking for some advise on how to cut Grecian White marble into some fairly small pointed triangles without loosing the point. This marble is pretty granular and it falls apart very easily. I'm thinking of bonding some fiberglass mesh to the back of a few tile to see if this helps. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that they've used in the past ?? I've posted a picture of the area that I'm tiling, and to make matters worst, my original plan was to create a bullnose profile on one surface, but I see no way of doing this with these small triangular pieces that I need to create.

Thanks for any help!!

nelsonkoehn 03-24-2018 06:52 PM

Good blade, flat surface, steady hand.

Not sure what more to say. From what I see on your project you can do it.

Bullnose the piece first, then cut the angle

You may sacrifice a few pieces before you get it.

How many are there? Is that going up a sloped ceiling? Not quite getting the perspective. They won't all need to come to a point? Some just need an angle knocked off of a larger tile?

tilemanct 03-25-2018 05:15 AM

Sometimes I use a Glass Blade for difficult marble cuts like that. Slow as molasses but you get a 90% success rate.

M.Audette 03-25-2018 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nelson,

Maybe this picture will give a better perspective . Your right in that there are only be a few that come to points, and the tile that are on the left surface are going to be just cuts, but the surface on the right, I was planning on bullnosing those tile to cap the edge.

M.Audette 03-25-2018 06:00 AM

Dave,

Thanks, I have a Vetro blade that I'll try

nelsonkoehn 03-25-2018 06:57 AM

Looks like a nice project. :tup1:

Yes, the wedge pieces, cut the angle on the piece plenty long. Then bullnose it. The cut off the back edge, the square cut, to get it to fit.

Slow and steady! :gerg:

John Bridge 03-26-2018 06:50 AM

Hi Marc,

I think you should just abandon that project. It can't be done. :)

Naw, what the others said.

Davy 03-26-2018 05:18 PM

I guess you know the joints won't line up on the two walls. Not much you can do about it without a lot of cutting.

M.Audette 03-30-2018 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well except for the tiny microscopic pieces left, most of the wall is laid. The advice to bullnose first then cut with a glass blade proved to be the answer. Thanks to all that chimed in.