Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Works In Progress Or Finished Pics (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70412)

mctile 12-27-2010 09:07 PM

Thats funny Tim! Its actually the "magic dust" you see in the air. I use it to control my help. I threw some dust in the air and said:

"As soon as your done sweeping, hit the corner and do your best Blair Witch impersonation til' further notice"

Magic helper dust rocks.

custombuilt 12-27-2010 09:18 PM

Good looking stuff guys. gueuze that Is a great cut around the drain and layout. I hate that stuff as well as it seems you have to cut out the black dots and realign them all the time.

LT. Nice job, whats the extenda mallet for? VCT is nasty stuff I took up 1600 feet the other day and it wasn't gun (ok took 3 days with a power scraper)

Nice marble too!

Hamilton 12-29-2010 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Laticrete Hydrobarrier over mud. Mud dried 72 hours before application. I ended up using a 3/8" nap. Rolled one coat. Flat troweled a second coat. Rolled a 3rd 3/8" nap coat with a 4th flat trowel coat. Like the 15# felt and metal lath were not enough. My customer was extremely concerned with mold. I taped off the tub and lapped the Hydrobarrier under the tile an 1/8". Tub had a 1" lip that was overlapped for a traditional mud install. I was questioned about the "moisture sandwhich". I don't believe the felt is a vapor barrier, while Hydrobarrier is... and with the dry time on the mud we should be fine. In my opinion this is a good one to get technical with.

At 4 coats on the Hydrobarrier I cant see a way for much if any moisture at all to get into the walls. Maybe sweat, if the weather was exceptionally cold like the north east? But would you expect this in southern CA?

Autoplay 12-29-2010 08:56 PM

Lots of labor it appears,and I'm sure you'll agree Jack,somewhat overkill,esp for a tub,and a fiberglass tub at that lol.

Guess if peeps willin to pay for it,it's all good lol.

tilejoe 12-29-2010 09:40 PM

Jack, your mud is so damn nice! Thanks for setting the bar high :)

gueuzeman 12-29-2010 10:06 PM

JAHBS

Just
Another
Hamilton
Bomb
Shelter

this one in blue! Joe- couldn't agree more, it's both inspirational and intimidating.

Chad Deiter Company 12-29-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe
Jack, your mud is so damn nice! Thanks for setting the bar high

That is an understatement, I have see that in person and it definitely is as flat as it looks.

Crestone Tile 12-29-2010 11:34 PM

I have done several mud showers and a few tub surrounds with Kerdi or liquid over them. I honestly don't think it's overkill.

It gives you the best of both worlds ... a super strong, reinforced, and super flat monolithic mortar substrate to set on, and a quick drying, efflorescence inhibiting method to top it off.

I keep going back and forth between mud and CBU thinking that I will get faster with CBU ... I'm not. If I tried to use CBU on the tub surround I did last week, I probably would have lost it.

Crestone Tile 12-29-2010 11:40 PM

Matt / mctile,

Is that a steam head at the bench riser??? ... ouch.

Higher Standard Tile 12-30-2010 01:17 AM

Jack- Very nice. I say forget the tile. Just tell the plumber it is ready for the finish plumbing and call it good.

mctile 12-30-2010 08:14 AM

Yea, Matt. That is exactally wha it is. That is obviously the rough in. The finished fixtures are much less intrusive.

Crestone Tile 12-30-2010 08:27 AM

Matt,

Shower looks awesome.

The first thing that came to mind when seeing the rough plumbing was the hot steam at the shower user's legs ... not meaning to be super critical. : )

Levi the Tile Guy 01-03-2011 07:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The PITA 4x4 slate job I have been working on...Yes I know there is still grout haze on the floor, I didn't want to walk over it anymore today, and will buff it out when I go back Friday to seal and caulk...This job took 4 weeks, with 5 days off in the middle due to not all tile being on jobsite...and drove me absolutely insane, the 4x4's were a horrible quality, and I fought and fought with them - used a 3/8" trowell on walls and still ended up spotting over 75% of them. The corner of the second picture grout line really shows how bad the lippage is. there is a 1/8" all along the corner, the wave comes from the different guaged tiles. Even the floor 2x2's were all over the place in size and thickness.

silvercitytile 01-03-2011 08:06 PM

I think it looks good Levi:shades:

Levi the Tile Guy 01-03-2011 08:14 PM

Thanks Jeff, so do the people that matter. It just drove me crazy setting it, and I am definitely my worst critic.