Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home Addition with Master Suite & Shower (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123964)

ironmanbythirty 10-22-2017 04:15 PM

Home Addition with Master Suite & Shower

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! We are in the middle of a home addition. We are adding a half bath along with a master suite. My plan all along has been to use the Kerdi Shower Kit (already purchased) in the master suite since I had such good luck with it during a bathroom remodel a few years back.

Framing is done and we are on to plumbing. The plumber did a walk through last week and is supposed to start Wednesday or Thursday this week. During his walkthrough, he said that it would be helpful to have the shower base and drain installed before plumbing is run. He has never worked with Kerdi and has no experience with it at all. Everything I have seen (at least so far) shows the installation of the shower base going in after drywall is in.

So, any advice? Do I:
A) Install the shower base up against the framing adding a (1/2"-1" to my overall dimensions to account for drywall on 3 sides) and then run the drywall down to the top of the base? (Not sure if the drywall should come to the top of the base but I guess if it is all waterproofed it may not matter)
B) Install the base 1/2" away from the framing and run the drywall alongside it when the time comes (seems like a bad idea as it will be harder to screw the drywall to the wall plate)
C) Push back with the plumber and have him just run plumbing to where I mark where the drain will eventually be. (Not sure on how precise this has to be and if will run into issues later)
D) Something I haven't thought of yet.

For reference, I am attaching a sketch of the bathroom layout (mostly to scale).

rmckee84 10-22-2017 05:27 PM

Set the tray as close as possible to its final placement and mark the drain placement. Then have him stub up the 2" drain line so you can cut it off later and set your drain. I wouldn't want a plumber working over my foam pan. Mark what you need to then put the tray back in the box. He doesn't need it set to do anything, he just needs to know where the drain needs stubbed up.

ironmanbythirty 10-23-2017 09:42 AM

Thank you very much Ryan! The plumber came highly recommended but I have to say it wasn't very settling when I showed him the Kerdi drain and shower tray and his response was "I've never seen this before". ha!

cx 10-23-2017 10:02 AM

Kevin, there was a time for each of us when we'd never heard of a Kerdi Shower System before. Nor of any other direct bonded waterproofing membrane. Don't think too harshly of your plumber not having been exposed to such systems, 'specially if he's an old guy and works in an area where such products are not in common use.

Now, if he's unwilling to learn about the new systems, that's a different story.

My opinion; worth price charged.