Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Off topic from xrayx (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107508)

Lazarus 05-30-2013 06:17 PM

It's well known that a modified morter, preferably a lightly modified one works just fine on Kerdi or Ditra. Yes, there is an increased setting time, and most folks are in a hurry to get done.

I imagine a tile over Ditra, with Versabond would fully set in a week or so...yet be "walkable" in little more than a day. Try that with an organic mastic and I guarantee it will be still soft a month down the road.

Chad Deiter Company 05-30-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 1276581)
It's well known that a modified morter, preferably a lightly modified one works just fine on Kerdi or Ditra. Yes, there is an increased setting time, and most folks are in a hurry to get done.

I imagine a tile over Ditra, with Versabond would fully set in a week or so...yet be "walkable" in little more than a day. Try that with an organic mastic and I guarantee it will be still soft a month down the road.

I agree Laz

dhagin 05-30-2013 06:47 PM

So, maybe mastic *can* be used in wet areas, but why would you use it? There's far better and cheaper products out there.

I don't get it. :shrug:

Lazarus 05-30-2013 06:51 PM

Dana~Don't bring logic into this.....there are always people that will use mastic, against all recommendations..... :stick:

Chad Deiter Company 05-30-2013 06:56 PM

I tore out a mastic shower last year that was three years old. The mastic was re-emulsified and looked like the day it came out of the bucket.

XrayX 05-30-2013 06:57 PM

Don't use mastics in wet areas !!!!!!!!!! It's not worth it. It just doesn't work. Anything that sets from drying just doesn't make sense. Mastic has only a small and specific place in my tiling adventures :bonk:

bctile601 06-08-2013 08:33 AM

Nothing really offensive

Quote:

[QUOTEHS somethingdy something]L.T. knows what he's talking about. Right TT....er....LT?
Moderator - edited to remove offensive personal remark

I never thought the ' something ' remark was anything offensive.

:uhh:

MDtile 06-08-2013 01:05 PM

I actually think recommending the use of mastic in non-wet locations is good advice for most DIYers. It has so much longer spread-to-set time that almost any DIYer can achieve bond.

Knowing the way shorter time thin set has, I can't help but wonder how many of these poor folks end-up with that tell-tale hollow tap sound of non-bonded tile after taking our advise to use thin set?

Let's face it, some people have to hire someone to change their lightbulbs :uhh: