Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   The Mud Box (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Slang? Jerry-rigging, "percussive maintenance" etc. (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128786)

wolpertingertoo 02-21-2020 12:18 PM

Slang? Jerry-rigging, "percussive maintenance" etc.

Hi Folks,
First, I have to say thanks -- You helped this lurker DIYer through TWO bathroom showers and a floor!!! (so far so good a few years out)

Now for the fun question -- What are your favorite slang terms for fixing something with an unorthodox solution? ie, hitting it with a hammer, using duct tape, etc. I know you guys have lots of funny euphemisms for these "creative" solutions!

I'm writing a book about critical thinking and I want to talk about the difference between "book smart" and folks who know how to get 'er done... Often insecure newbies assume that every problem has a "right way", and they just don't know it or have the right tool. But experienced people know there may not always be a right way beyond whatever works. They use initiative to find a solution on their own. Thoughts?

(Edit: Just to clarify, I know the folks here are pros who nearly always do things the right way with the right tools. But I'm interested in those unusual situations where even a pro needs to get creative.)

Thanks!

Davy 02-21-2020 05:28 PM

I have some kin folk that's been known to do some southern engineering from time to time. :)

ss3964spd 02-22-2020 08:26 AM

"Beat it to fit, paint it to match".

:D

jerrymlr1 02-22-2020 08:50 AM

Jerry-rigging
Never been a big fan of that there adjective. I would explain but I need to get back to work. Pass the duct tape please...........

wolpertingertoo 02-22-2020 06:06 PM

Love em'!

Thanks, keep 'em coming!

And Jerry, my husband gave me quite the lecture on how I should have spelled it "jury-rigging", and its origin in holding up the ship's mast, and how he knows how to tie the jury-rig knot, etc. etc. If you want to listen to it then you can recapitulate it for anyone who hassles you, haha ;)

I can add "shock method" to the list from an IRL friend -- but that one's not as funny.

Houston Remodeler 02-22-2020 09:59 PM

Caulk = Latex sin forgiver

PC7060 02-23-2020 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknown texan
anyone can succeed with bubble gum and baling wire. That's for amateurs! The true professional succeeds with spit and baling wire.

:rofl: :rofl:

Autoplay 02-23-2020 06:52 AM

Hoosiered,Hammer mekanik etc
Oklahoma speed wrench(which is a pair of channel locks,used on any and everything to turn a nut/bolt etc)

John Bridge 02-24-2020 08:43 AM

Hi Cynthia. Glad you joined us. :)

I agree with "jury-rig." I've heard a lot of the "Jerry" version, though.