Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tile concerns (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130183)

Robinm 12-07-2020 01:13 PM

Tile concerns

4 Attachment(s)
Just had my shower floor tiled and I am unhappy with the results. The grout lines are inconsistent and the tiling around the drain looks horrible in my opinion. My contractor thinks I’m being to picky. In his words- “there’s always that one who will never be satisfied”. Am I being too picky? Attachment 216814

Attachment 216815

Attachment 216816

Attachment 216817

HouseOfJoe 12-07-2020 01:53 PM

Not a pro...

A picture of the floor from a littler farther back would help to make a judgement on the grout lines. If there are just a small number like you've circled, that might be liveable.

But to my eye that drain looks horrendous.

Robinm 12-07-2020 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some full shots of the floor. The grout lines really bug me. Attachment 216824
HTML Code:

[ATTACH][ATTACH]216824[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

ss3964spd 12-07-2020 04:39 PM

Yeah, no, the grout lines are way too inconsistent and the tile around the drain is horrendous.

Your are not being too picky, your contractor isn't being picky enough.

Nice socks, though. :D

Robinm 12-07-2020 05:38 PM

Thanks!

cx 12-07-2020 06:54 PM

Welcome, Robin. :)

What Dan said. The grout lines are bad, the drain is simply unacceptable.

When a fella undertakes to do a tile job with sharply contrasting colors of grout and tile, he absolutely must bring his very best game to that job. I fear your guy might have left some of his tools at home.

And I think it was perfectly tacky of Dan to mention your socks! They are cute, though. :D

My opinion; worth price charged.

smifwal 12-07-2020 07:03 PM

I suspect that the tiles were twisted on the sheet, he should have pulled those few off especially know he was using white grout. As for the drain, that i just sloppy Are these tiles from the tile shop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CX
I fear your guy might have left some of his tools at home.

I don't think he owns such tools, but I bet after this job he will be looking pretty hard for a set of "patience" and bag of "Attention to detail"

kdev 12-07-2020 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Robin,

I did a quick google search and found this example of a tile pro who brought his A game.

Did the same person who tiled the floor also tile the walls?

Kent

kdev 12-07-2020 07:37 PM

Just as a side note I bought a sheet of similar 2" hex mosaic at homer's and thought about using it for my shower floor. I've since decided not to use it as I couldn't figure out how to get a ~4" square drain to fit in the 2" hex pattern without slivers and complicated cuts. That pic I posted shows both.

But then I'm just a DIY guy...

ss3964spd 12-07-2020 07:50 PM

Well done, Kent, that's exactly what it ought to look like.

Your "tile" guy isn't likely to have the same appreciation for that photo as we do, Robin. ;)

Agree with Shawn. He could have also coaxed some of those into place using spacers/wedges but, quite evidently those, too, were absent from his tool bag.

Robinm 12-07-2020 07:54 PM

I purchased the tile from Wayfair. At no point did the tile setter mention any issues with the tile. Since it looks like I’m going to need to buy more tile, any advice on what to look for when purchasing? Thanks all!

Robinm 12-07-2020 07:55 PM

And the walls were tiled by someone else.

ss3964spd 12-07-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin
advice on what to look for

A new tile setter? ;)

But seriously, Robin, while the hex tile does present a bit of a challenge, especially around the drain, a competent tile setter should be able to render an professional result.

We know nothing, however, about the tile itself. None of the specifications. Not that it really matters, as an experienced setter, with an eye towards detail, would warn you in advance if the chosen tile was unfit for purpose.

If that floor is coming out, can you tell us what water proofing method was used?

Just In Tile LLC 12-07-2020 08:27 PM

Interesting he flipped the script and said you were being too picky...:scratch:. Maybe you just want consistent tile joints, and drain cuts where a chainsaw wasn't used. Not to mention the haze all over the tile :bonk:

A lot of times the sheet tile aren't set perfectly on the net, it's pretty much a given and you end up cutting some out or cut the backing and adjust.

I guess one could use the excuse that's how they are on the sheet to avoid any responsibility for their work quality, but if that's the mindest, I wouldn't want that person working on my house because they don't have enough experience to know it's a common issue we all deal with.

cx 12-07-2020 10:14 PM

Kent, I'm curious where you got that photo of the hex tile shower floor. I'm concerned that it looks almost too perfect.