Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Turning down work. (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111023)

Houston Remodeler 01-17-2014 04:26 PM

Turning down work.

As some of you may know I have been working bidding a job to instal 4 foot by 12 foot neolith tiles which are 5mm thick. The initial site visit was two weeks ago where I met a very young and talented designer. After 8 hours of technical and design specifications, I gave her a price to re-do some of the started work and properly finish the installation. :talk:

The next site meeting included butting heads with the GC concerning proper plywood and fasteners for a tile installation, waterproofing, city building codes, and the weight of Ipe per square foot. Your garden variety pissing match. :complain:

A few meetings and 2 weeks later, I ignored the previous red flags and agreed to lower my price 6% to match the competition. :think:

Today after work I stopped by the jobsite to make sure I was about to order the correct size $700 linear Laticrete drain. Low and behold I run into the competition. They too thought they were starting this Monday. :eek:

I gave the competition time to call the designer before dialing myself. She didn't answer, so I left a polite voice mail declining the work. :goodluck:

We have other things to do.

Lazarus 01-17-2014 04:57 PM

Paul~When you showed me that tile and we discussed the scope of the work, my "Spidey Sense" began tingling.....and, I ain't saying nothing...but, lets say, I had my doubts. :bonk:

Frankly, you don't need the aggrevation. Time to move on, Brother. Bigger fish to fry....

:gerg:

tilejoe 01-17-2014 08:48 PM

Went to look at a job last Saturday. Home owner wasn't there. I'm human, I forget stuff. I called her and she was not the smallest bit apologetic. No mention of being sorry. I rescheduled then thought about it for ten minutes...canceled the trip back. People can suck, but, I won't let anyone determine my attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Higher Standard Tile 01-17-2014 09:44 PM

Paul I guess those Texas handshakes don't mean what they used to.

jwmezzanotte 01-17-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Paul I guess those Texas handshakes don't mean what they used to.
This is a pet peeve.
If someone offers me a fist bump im gonna walk away. How about we just shake hands like men?

Also, I like my underwear inside my pants.

tile dummy 01-18-2014 12:56 AM

I like when you show up and they ask how long you will be because they have another guy coming to give an estimate shortly after you.
Sometimes you can't weasel your way out of there fast enough.

John K 01-18-2014 04:19 AM

Good job Paul! Something better will come along . Someone was probably looking out for you.

I've had similar things happen and it turned out that the job I thought I missed was a curse lying in wait.

JTile 01-18-2014 05:40 AM

As the saying goes..

You'll never lose money on a job you didn't get.

MNTileGuy 01-18-2014 07:34 AM

Did you at least get something for your time up front, Paul? Talk about dealing in bad faith... I guess one way or the other, at least you cut your losses early. I gotta say though, they would've lost me as soon as they said 4' by 12'...

I've had that happen a couple of times where the next guy showed up while I was still looking at the job. Both times it was guys with limited English proficiency. The first time I still worked up an estimate, but no doubt my price was higher and didn't get the job. The second time, I didn't even bother working up an estimate. Told the HO I was gonna be "washing my hair" for awhile.

Houston Remodeler 01-18-2014 09:16 AM

Thanks for the support guys.

I have plenty of work ahead and the phone keeps ringing so I am certainly not going to be upset walking away from this job.

Not having to work with that site supervisor is the biggest plus.

Already figured out what the price of the job will be in 6 months when all the floor tiles have cracked and the shower is leaking to the floors below.

Tiger pilot 01-18-2014 11:02 AM

Turning down work

Those low price guys know what their work, if you can call it that, is worth! That's why the give it away! I find it amazing that consumers don't learn that labor is what makes the difference! Lesser quality materials, installed properly will work, but the best quality material will fail if not properly installed.
Just my nickel's worth! :deadhorse

Peerless Tile 01-18-2014 11:53 AM

Measure a mans wealth by what he can afford to leave alone...let the other guy have his 94% PITA

cx 01-18-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger Pilot
Just my nickel's worth!

:rolleyes:

Back when Steve was just a working stiff like the rest of us he'd give us his two cents worth. Now that he's a big-time independent consultant and all, we get five cents worth. :D

MNTileGuy 01-18-2014 01:08 PM

Sounds to me like you dodged a bullet Paul. Between the material you were going to have to deal with and a moron GC, it sounded like a nightmare in the making.

Glad to hear you have plenty of other work to keep things going!

Jim Farrell Tiler 01-18-2014 02:53 PM

i was measuring up a job the other day, about 10ks worth of work excluding the supply of tiles and in one of the bathrooms was one of my competitions business card pinned to a wall, didnt bother me because i dont care if i get the job or not, i always have plenty to do