Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your favorite thinset for kerdi and ditra? (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124546)

Shady at Best 01-20-2018 12:41 PM

Your favorite thinset for kerdi and ditra?

I am always searching for better ways to do things. I am currently using customs versabond for my kerdi and ditra installs. Mainly due to the availability. I am also a big fan of ardex x5.

This is not a thread about what schluter recomends using. We all already know that. And the schluter ditra set and all set are horribly to work with.

I am not opposed to using a non modified thinset. I would use one as long as it can hold 2 overlapping pieces of kerdi together after 36 hours of drying.

What do you guys like using?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lazarus 01-20-2018 01:05 PM

Ditra Set is fine and I'm a fan of it....have been for years. Having said that, I find that the Mapai is a good unmodified as is the Laticrete 317.

rmckee84 01-20-2018 01:23 PM

Tri-lite or x5. This may be a post better suited for the pro's hang out?

sycamorebob 01-20-2018 03:38 PM

Ditra-set all the time. Good to know about's Schluters new products.

" And the schluter ditra set and all set are horribly to work with. "

Shady at Best 01-20-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamorebob (Post 1489850)
Ditra-set all the time. Good to know about's Schluters new products.

" And the schluter ditra set and all set are horribly to work with. "

Its been awhile since I used Bostic Ditra Set. I will try that again. I am doing a job where I am installing ditra on plywood. Looks like ditra set is good for that application.

Would a primer make things better when installing ditra over plywood?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmckee84 (Post 1489844)
Tri-lite or x5. This may be a post better suited for the pro's hang out?

I am down for that.

Different question.
Is 1/8x1/8x1/8 still the trowel for KERDI?

rmckee84 01-21-2018 08:22 AM

Moved your thread to the Pros hangout Travis.

1. I don't, as long as you hydrate the ply as you go it will be fine.

2. Yes

eurob 01-21-2018 08:32 AM

Favorite thin set for kerdi & ditra

Ultraflex RS / Ardex X7R

CaliGrown 01-21-2018 10:36 AM

Another vote for Laticrete’s 317, easy to work with and I get it for $8.15 a bag. If I want to put Ditra and Tile down the same day I’ll use 253 Gold Rapid, give it a six pack and I’m setting. :cheers:

Shady at Best 01-21-2018 01:13 PM

I had a dream about laticrete 317 a few days ago. I think that dream was what sparked this question. In the dream i was buying 317 for 4$ a bag. It was crazy random.

I have been rewatching all the schluter vids for shiggles. ( shits and giggles) They say that you can install ditra and set tile on the same day with no special thinset. Anyone do this?

Another question. Any reason why i couldn't use painters plastic (.9mil) under a mortar shower pan, on plywood, that will be covered by kerdi?

dgbldr 01-21-2018 09:45 PM

Do you guys use the 317 unmodified or do you mix some admix in?

Edit: Is this thread about thinset between kerdi/ditra and substrate, or for setting the tile? Or both? Just making sure I'm on the same page :)

tilemanct 01-22-2018 06:35 AM

Solved that dilemma years ago. Changed from Schluter to other manufacturers. Found products that exceed them in many ways.

MAPEI - Technical Service 01-22-2018 08:34 AM

Glad to see some MAPEI products got an honorable mention here. Our Kerabond T meets Schluter's requirement for a non-modified mortar and is specifically designed to be used with uncoupling membranes and large format tiles. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. For the 'tile in the same day' discussion I agree with Ultraflex RS or if you're going over it with a large format tile, Ultraflex LFT Rapid is a relative newcomer that's worth a look.

Lazarus 01-22-2018 08:50 AM

Dan....Recently, I've been using Kerabond for Kerdi and it works great. My local Dal dropped the 317 and picked up Mapai. It was at their recommendation that I tried the Kerabond.

Tool Guy - Kg 01-22-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shady at Best
...I am doing a job where I am installing ditra on plywood. Looks like ditra set is good for that application.

Would a primer make things better when installing ditra over plywood?

No, that's a bad idea. Using an unmodified over plywood is a bad idea. Unless you want it loosing it's bond sometime in the first 7 years. This isn't Schulter just talking, it's the whole industry. And primer wouldn't alter that. Use a mortar rated for plywood and you're golden.

Shady at Best 01-22-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg (Post 1490049)
No, that's a bad idea. Using an unmodified over plywood is a bad idea. .

I know this. I have no idea why i said it. Would help if i proofread once in awhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbldr (Post 1489966)

Edit: Is this thread about thinset between kerdi/ditra and substrate, or for setting the tile? Or both? Just making sure I'm on the same page :)

Pretty much both.

Just looking for suggestions and better ways to do things.
I Have been spoiled lately by using ardex x77. It has got me wanting to get away from customs versabond. Although i have no real beef with versabond. I would use x77 all the time if i got the same coverage out of it.

I worry about the thinset I use when doing kerdi seams. I have used thinsets where there was no resistance when peeling up kerdi band after 2 days of drying. I Have also had schluters all set fail to hold on to usg durock membrane after 2 days of drying.
I have also seen thinset pull the fleece off the kerdi after 2 days.

So basically looking for a better, easier, ways. I haven't used laticrete thinset in years. Maybe i will give there stuff a shot.