Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   stone issue in shower (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115784)

bc brick john 02-28-2015 05:07 PM

stone issue in shower

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks
i done an install in 09
and had a call back to try sort out the issue with it.

it looks like the water/minerals has been causing the stone to break down and
appear really faded and course to the touch

on the outside of the shower its OK its in the wet area
the stone was
Valverde Azul honed 16 X16

you can see the difference on the threshold step
and where its been attacking the fill in the honed stone

any remedies one can suggest

cx 02-28-2015 07:16 PM

I can't help with the issue, John, but I'll move you over here where more of the stoners hang out.

tileman85 02-28-2015 09:29 PM

Is this happening at the same hight on all the walls in the shower?

Houston Remodeler 02-28-2015 09:49 PM

Was it a mudded curb?

Tool Guy - Kg 02-28-2015 09:56 PM

Hi John,

Looks almost like soap scup or hard water build-up. But with the unfocused picher, it's kinna hard to see. Any chance of a more clearly focused picher?

:)

bc brick john 03-01-2015 11:52 AM

5 Attachment(s)
few more pics
sure does look like the water and soaps have eaten into this stone
it was sealed with sealers choice if i remember :sick:

its worse around the bottom. shower pan tile is a dal tile and not really affected.

its a mud pan on a rubber liner

kerb is wood framed wrapped over liner

upper floor on timber framed house with radiant heat floors // 2" pour lwt concrete
don't think any where in the shower pan area

densheild with redguard on top

as if you look at the curb threshold it still half shinny as installed/outside of the shower cubicle but where the water has hit it looks and feels course and pitted

tileman85 03-01-2015 06:47 PM

It looks like water is wicking up from the floor. Your first course of tile isnt in the mud bed? Also, cracks in the grout or tile can let water in behind the tile? Sometimes it builds up and starts leaching out, if it can't drain out fast enough. I seen this happen from a slab shower bench. No one caulked the gap under the over hang and water would go down the face and fill up around the base of the shower up to the curb and run outside of the shower.

Stone Dude 03-02-2015 10:51 AM

That is Jura Grey limestone. Soft and fairly porous, but dense for a limestone. Its not uncommon to see some signs of moisture in the stone when there is no problem with the pan, but there shouldn't be much.

These photos as kind of vague. Some shots that show the entire floor/bottom of the walls would help

The dull white are looks like the outside pf the door on rop of the curb? Is so, it just looks like standing water has taken its toll. It needs to be refinished