Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mapei Flexcolor CQ smell/offgassing (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130916)

itgoofy 04-24-2021 11:26 AM

Mapei Flexcolor CQ smell/offgassing

Against my wishes this product was used, it had an extremely strong latex/chemical odor for the first day. It has dissipated quite a bit, but still smells 3 days later. I have severe allergies so things like this I am exquisitely sensitive to. Any idea on if this smell is going away, or how to help it dissipate?

Also, they did not follow instructions and steam cleaned the floor with a steam mop 2 days after application- which the product explicitly states not to do for 7 days. I wonder if that will ruin the cure and has to be re-done? Some companies, such as "AFM Safecoat" make non toxic grout sealers. Should I consider this?

Thanks.

Lazarus 04-24-2021 04:50 PM

Cleaning with a steam mop after that short of a time could be problematic. They state to keep DRY for seven days....not 2 days, not four days. SEVEN days minimum. Hopefully it will dry out and be good. Only time will tell. :scratch:

Davy 04-24-2021 05:01 PM

Alex, I wouldn't put any sealer on that floor. Is it possible to slightly open a window, maybe with a small fan blowing outward?

cx 04-24-2021 05:04 PM

Welcome, Alex. :)

What is the application for this tile and grout?

If you paid to have this tile installed I recommend you invite the contractor to remove it if it looks the tiniest bit suspect. Actually, I think he should replace it regardless any suspect look. I don't know what that steaming might have done to the grout.

You do not need nor do you want to use any kind of sealer on that grout.

My opinion; worth price charged.

itgoofy 04-24-2021 06:40 PM

@lazarus

I know, I sure hope so. It smells better today. Yesterday was intolerable. I am hoping that it just needs a few more days to fully dry out.

@davy
I have the window open, a carbon air purifier in the room, and I am letting it dry out as best as I can. I will install a box fan now to push the air toward the window. Thanks!

@cx
This was for a bedroom to grout ceramic tile.

That's where it gets complicated. The contractor didn't do that, my crazy mom did. When I heard the steamer going I tried to stop it as quickly as possible, but she had already steamed the majority of the floor 48 hours after it was grouted.

Should I consider running a high end dehumidifier in the room?

The smell is definitely more tolerable today. I really wish we had just used appropriate grout for my sensitivities, but that's a whole different subject. If I stick my face into the grout right now and smell, the smell bothers me. Yesterday it hit me as soon as I went into the room. So it's better, but definitely not ideal.

cx 04-24-2021 07:33 PM

Well, I suppose you could make your mom re-grout it, Alex. :D

MrBottleneck 04-25-2021 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Alex said: If I stick my face into the grout right now and smell, the smell bothers me.
Sorry but this picture came to mind when I read that. :scratch:

Davy 04-25-2021 06:53 AM

Alex, I would give it a few more days to dry out on it's own. I bet it'll get better.

Tool Guy - Kg 04-25-2021 09:14 PM

If your face is looking like that picture of Mrs. Doubtfire, you’re doing it wrong. :D

On a serious note, I think it’s going to continue dissipating over the next couple weeks until it’s no longer noticeable.

jayjonbeach 04-26-2021 11:10 AM

I agree with the others it should keep off-gasing less and less over time.

I also just wanted to mention MCS is often from Liver phase 1 going too fast, and Niacinamide (has to be that exact version of Vitamin B3) can really help many people with this, though it is a bit of a bandaid fix.

Hopefully its already better today. Best wishes

itgoofy 04-26-2021 07:44 PM

@jayjonbeach
Thanks for the info. Did you get that from Andy Cutler? I am familiar with your suggestion, I do have severe MCS, I don't tolerate niacinamide but grapefruit products supposedly do the same thing, I will get back on grapefruit. I really appreciate it!

jayjonbeach 04-27-2021 09:39 AM

We're off topic (my fault) so I will send you a PM about this, but I've used this to help many people and seen tons more be helped by it, and yes correct about the Grapefruit. Sorry to hear it is severe, I had it in the past myself so know how it feels :(

itgoofy 04-27-2021 09:15 PM

It still smells. Can the floor be regrouted or does the entire thing have to be ripped up to the concrete and redone? What a disaster.

Only other option is to try the sealer, which you all seem to not suggest doing with this grout. I just don't see this dissipating to my sensitive nose any time soon.

Tool Guy - Kg 04-27-2021 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itgoofy
I just don't see this dissipating to my sensitive nose any time soon.

Please call Mapei’s tech line and ask them. They have a great team. I’d be surprised if they can’t give you some useful info on the timeline of curing. This product needs to dry and I think you just need more time.

In the meantime, I’d advise against trying cover it with any sort of a sealer.

:)

Joetile123 04-28-2021 11:24 AM

Hi Alex,

The Latex odor should dissipate in about 3 days

MAPEI Flexcolor CQ cures faster in lower humidity
conditions (less than 50% is ideal).

Give Technical Support a call at 1-800-992-6273 for our recommendations as far as sealers are concerned

We'd be more than happy to help you out.