Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mitered Tile Edges (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130793)

Buck01 03-30-2021 09:05 AM

Mitered Tile Edges

Standare procedure is to cut miter and leave approx 1/32 edge. I have found that cutting sharp edge and dressing with diamond pad is faster, easier and more reliable. Any concerns with doing this from the pro community? Tile is porcelain

Also, it appears most rec caulking miter joint vs grouting. I understand why this is recommended but it appears caulking this joint looks a heck-of-alit better. Any thoughts regarding? Thanks

Davy 03-30-2021 05:44 PM

Hi Buck, welcome. I see nothing wrong with the way you miter the tiles. Whatever it takes to make it look good.

Maybe I don't understand exactly what you're talking about. It might depend on where the miter is at. I can't ever remember caulking mitered tiles just because they're mitered. Any time you have a tile going to a point, I think grout will support the tile better than caulk and be less likely to break if something bumps into it.

cx 03-30-2021 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome, Buck. :)

I think what you're calling a miter might better be described as a back-bevel or back-miter. Would that be a fair statement?

Like thissy here:

Attachment 219292

Karls tile Inc 03-30-2021 08:38 PM

I always try to back miter due to the edge chipping sometimes. Sometimes I will sand it to a finer point but even then the heat generated from sanding or just the wrong motion when sanding can chip the edge.

Buck01 03-31-2021 12:44 PM

Mitered Edge Response

Thanks for the response everyone. This is to confirm I was referring to back miter as shown in sketch. I was also thinking that grout would support the edge better than caulk but heard it is susceptible to cracking. Plan to use urethane grout ( Bostik Trucolor ) I have not used this grout before. I was not intending to leave a space between the 45 degree chamfers as sketch shows. Was thinking grouting the edges and faces would be more than adequate but welcome any grout guides from pro community

Thanks again Buck

cx 03-31-2021 03:49 PM

I would always leave a grout joint in such corners and I'm inclined to grout them, 'specially if it's a traffic corner. No industry standard would support such grouting, but would support not butting the tiles together.

With the sanded, color-matched sealants available today, I might be inclined to mend my ways a bit in regard to the grouting, but would always leave a grout joint.

My opinion; worth price charged.

tilemanct 04-04-2021 07:21 AM

Those edges look great until someone hits it with a vac wand or your kids slam a toy into the edge. Schulter has a profile called Finec for this purpose. Looks great and protects the mitered edge from chipping. Very thin. Not like the Jolly or Rondec look.

CaliGrown 04-04-2021 09:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
True stuff Dave, great upon completion and in Finish pics.
However functionality wise, high probability to be chipped.
I gotta go back to replace some chipped tiles from the shower wand in this kids’ shower. Might go ahead and swap them out for a schluter or SBN, if it continues to be problematic.

KarenA01 04-04-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
Those edges look great until someone hits it with a vac wand or your kids slam a toy into the edge. Schulter has a profile called Finec for this purpose.

Dave,

Does the Finec edge bring the durability of a back mitered glazed inkjet porcelain tile edge back to what a bullnose corner would be?

In my bathroom I will have an outside corner in a tight spot that is sure to get bumped into at times...

The tile i am planning on does have a bullnose option, but I would rather have the same tile pattern continue around teh corner uisng back mitered edges with the small Finec profile, if it protects the corner really well and comes in a color that is close to the light beige color of the tile. I think that could look nice!

Thanks,
-Karen

Just In Tile LLC 04-07-2021 02:34 PM

Just watched a video with epoxy grout for edge protection on miters. They kept hitting the edge with a glass bottle and nothing happened. I've seen some guys from other countries also epoxy their miters... now I know why.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNWm6Ayi..._web_copy_link Here's the video.

Buck01 04-09-2021 10:33 AM

Mitering an Inside Corner

Project has some shower niches where client wants a mitered edge. I have to miter several inside corners and am seeking advice on how to get sharp inside corner miter from the pros. Walls are already build and I need to cut U notches and miter inside edges. Cutting with an angle grinder but it is hard to get a nice clean edge and corner. Any recs?

I am using a P4 mesh blade but thinking a continuous blade may be better for corner grinding and dressing. Any blade recs?

Thanks in advance Buck

Buck01 04-09-2021 10:42 AM

Miter with a Wet Saw and Drift Problem

I have a lot of miter edges to make on 24 inch tiles and prefer to use my wet saw. I recognize the wet saw drifts during long cuts and this is a problem. Most pros recommend using an angle grinder but I would prefer to use wet saw if I can resolve the drift problem. Was using a new P4 mesh blade but it still drifts. this blade is very thin which compounds drift problem. Does anyone have any tips for cutting miter with wet saw and preventing drift problem? Other blade recs? Thanks in advance

Buck

John Bridge 04-10-2021 01:59 PM

I always use a wet saw. If you begin with a very shallow cut and then work into it over several passes you can end up with a good looking grout joint. What happens beyond the grout really doesn't matter.

You can also start with a shallow cut on the wet saw and then perfect it with a grinder.

Buck01 04-11-2021 11:24 AM

Mitered Edge Response

Yes, progressive shallow cuts is the answer. Thanks for the advice

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc 04-11-2021 12:40 PM

10-inch blade on a wet saw wanders too much for my tastes. Also, if you do it on a wet saw you're going to wear out one side of the blade and ruin it. So, it's best to have a blade dedicated to mitering. Personally, I prefer an angle grinder.

Also, I echo what Justin said above about epoxy grout in the mitered corners.

John Bridge 04-11-2021 01:33 PM

Jim,

I too old to be trusted with an angle grinder. :D

altnrg8 04-12-2021 05:55 AM

I recommend using the Helix Copperhead blade.

Sent from Tile Tom’s iPhone using Tapatalk

tilemanct 04-13-2021 04:40 AM

I dont have a pic but the Finec looks real nice in that application. It works for any tile or stone. Comes in a few finishes. I used the AE. Looks nice with a White Marble porcelain tile lookalike. Ill try and get a pic when I go back to Phase 2 of that project.
When doing miters I make a normal straight cut and then miter a portion off then finish up with aggressive polishing pad on a water fed tool. Gives a nice crisp edge.