Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need pics of tile transitions (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89975)

Marge 12-28-2010 04:43 PM

Need pics of tile transitions

I'm designing a tub to shower remodel and the HO's want to keep the current floor tile. It's thruout the home and kind of a rose color. I would LOVE to replace the bath floor (and open up tile options) but am concerned about transitioning to a neutral color from the hall. Any suggestions and pictures that y'all can share? :)

Trask 12-28-2010 05:13 PM

Marge,

What kind of transition? Height ? how much? or pattern/design transition?

Marge 12-28-2010 06:59 PM

Tile to tile (ceramic/porcelain). The rose color is really hampering choices for the shower and full room tile wainscot. But I just can't picture a border or something to transition to a new bathroom floor tile.

Cain 12-28-2010 08:10 PM

might be a place for one of those cultured marble thresholds. if placed right under a door you would never see the tile on the otherside, until you open the door. usually you see the threshold on both sides of door slightly. sorry no pics as I hate the way they look

Houston Remodeler 12-28-2010 08:13 PM

What about a real marble threshold?

I get my beige Bottocino ones in Baltimore, the pure white Thassos from New Orleans and the Carrera right here in Houston.

Alex Mathilda 12-28-2010 08:36 PM

I have just installed a granit slab (absolute black) between the gray porcelain of the bathroom floor and the natural oak on the other side. Looks gorgeous.

Alex

Levi the Tile Guy 12-28-2010 08:52 PM

Marge,

Do they happen to have 1 or 3 pieces of the old stuff laying around?

I didn't take pics, but just did a job this last summer where I cut simple triangles out of both the old and new tile and put a 4-6ish" (don't remember the exact width) deco strip as a transition for them. This one ran about 7 linear feet, I tore out carpet in their dining room, and they didn't want to replace the tile in their open kitchen/ hall way.

Marge 12-29-2010 08:55 AM

Levi,

That's what I was thinking about. Wanted some pics to show them so they could visualize it as well. And yes, there is some extra tile from the original install.

HS345 12-29-2010 09:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's one I have in my own home Marge. I added a third color just for fun.

Eventually, the green (kitchen) tile will be replaced.

ceramictec 12-29-2010 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a tile to tile transition blog I did and there are a few pictures with some other examples.

http://ceramictec.com/tile-to-tile-transition

Attachment 88872

JC 12-29-2010 03:32 PM

Depending on the design you can do the bath floor in vinyl wood look planks aka luxery vinyl tiles..they are water resistant for the most part. If the customer is ok with having vinyl floors(some like them some don't) its another option.

Ive put in vinyl tiles in some pretty nice high end homes...homes that I would rather see not have vinyl floors but then again I don't like seeing fake granite counter tops either....some folks don't see it that way and like vinyl planks.

What kinda tile/stone is in the shower,what does the rest of the bathroom style look like? Picking a transition that has some form of continuity would be nice touch.

Somebody once said....For every problem there is an opportunity

Marge 12-29-2010 06:13 PM

Greg, that helps. :)

Brian, your link isn't working...even when I type just your home url manually. :scratch:

JC, this is a gutting of a tub/shower combo with a conversion to shower only. I'm hoping to wainscot all the dry area walls to the floor. They want something similar to this in Post #26.

ceramictec 12-29-2010 06:51 PM

thats weird, you and Levi are two that said they can go to my website.
works fine for all others. I dont understand it. :bang:

JC 12-29-2010 07:07 PM

wood look might not be good with that..

How about a travertine threshold to tie it in?

duneslider 12-29-2010 07:42 PM

Come on, use those powers of persuasion and talk them into doing the floor. Unless it's really big it can't add more than a few hundred bucks to the job.