Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   General Questions w/ Pics on 1st Time Shower Pan Build/Install (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116643)

amodoko 12-06-2019 10:54 PM

Yes, that purple primer stains everything. I got it all over my clothes and it has never come out, hahaha. I had also heard arguments that the primer even weakens the joint slightly. But I made sure to use it anyways since I believe a lot of areas require it for code purposes

cx 12-06-2019 11:04 PM

I, too, have read reports years ago showing that the primer, of whatever color, was of no positive value in those solvent weld joints, AM, and even reduce the effectiveness of the glue in some cases as you indicate. Many years since I've used any of the primer and I've put together a bunch of PVC plumbing, much of it pressure water, without ever having a joint failure.

And not a single purple stain on anything! :tup1:

amodoko 12-07-2019 11:30 PM

That's good to know CX. I had read an article on it a few weeks ago where someone did an actual study on it measuring the effect of purple primer on joint strength and his study showed that primer did weaken the joint. I just didn't know how truthful the study was but I know a lot of other pros don't like using it and have said they have better luck without the primer in pressure systems. It's nice to know that I don't have to use primer for functional purposes

cx 12-08-2019 09:14 AM

I do, however, clean both sides of every joint with a combination of Acetone and MEK solvent, a can of which is taped to my can of solvent weld glue. I can't speak to the actual need for that, either, but it makes me feel better.

Houston Remodeler 12-08-2019 10:25 AM

I agree with CX, however, the inspectors round these parts want to see a slathering of purple all over the place in order to pass inspection. I used to apply the primer very neatly and was chided by several inspectors for making their job too hard. :scratch:

cx 12-08-2019 02:09 PM

Which has never made any sense to me at all, Paul. The presence of the purple gives no indication at all of whether the joint has been glued. I know of one house I'd done remodel work on several times and the old guy who built the place plumbed the inside in CPVC. At least a half dozen of his pressure water joints failed because he'd put his purple primer on the parts, but no glue. Some of them were 20 years old before they failed.

But the inspector woulda loved them. :D

amodoko 12-08-2019 02:33 PM

Oh wow, I'm surprised those pressure joints lasted so long with just primer on them and no glue. That's just incredible.

cx 12-08-2019 02:38 PM

Think I said something akin to that every time I repaired one of'em, AM. :)