Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Subfloor deflection for ceramic tile for 2X10 at 12" (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92309)

Chairandy 03-24-2011 08:32 PM

Subfloor deflection for ceramic tile for 2X10 at 12"

Need to know what to do for ceramic tile installation... good framework is 2X10 at 12" o.c. with 1/2 plwood.. and has a span of 14 feet. Cannot do more than kerdi mat on top before 12 by 12 tiles. However I can access the basement and would like to add plywood in the bays from underneath. Thickness of ply??? The span is 14 feet but area of tile installation is only 4 feet from supported end. That is, I will have tile for 4 feet and 10 feet of 3/4 maple flooring. Is this feasible?

Brian in San Diego 03-24-2011 08:42 PM

Welcome, Andy.

Given the measurements you quoted the Deflecto says you are good for ceramic at L/506 if you have Doug Fir or SYP in good condition.

I'm more concerned with the 1/2" plywood. There are ways to install plywood under the existing if cleated and installed properly. Not sure I could adequately describe the method. Would taking up the 1/2" and putting down 3/4" be out of the question? To me it would be less work than trying to fit all the pieces into the joist bays and do so properly.

dhagin 03-24-2011 09:01 PM

1/2 plywood would be very unusual for subfloor. Double check that at a few places. It may be 5/8 which measures around 9/16 when bone dry, maybe a hair more.

With only 10-1/2 or less between joists, i don't think you could beef it up properly from below... if needed. If it really is 1/2 plywood over the joists, remove it and replace with 5/8 minimum tongue & groove or blocked edges. 3/4 would be better, like BSD said. :)

edit: having a transition at adjacent floors where elevations are different is not a problem, as long as they are handled properly. We can help you with that if needed. :)

Chairandy 03-25-2011 10:40 AM

Transition info ceramic tile to maple 3/4 T&G

Interested in transition options since the tile will be higher than the wood flooring... Also if I rip up the 1/2" ply, will 5/8 T&G ply be sufficient for the tile installatiom?

I am still seriously considering filling in the bays with 3/4 ply with adhesive and with cleats for support nailed to the 2X10's... This will allow me to install ditra mat and will be almost flush to other finish floor.

Thanks for the input.. This is one of the most informative sites I have ever been on

bbcamp 03-25-2011 10:48 AM

What thickness are your tiles? Floor tiles are usually 3/8" thick, but are now being made 1/4" thick. In that case, using standard Ditra and assuming your hardwood is attached to the same subfloor as your tile, your tile floor will be lower than the wood. I'm not seeing the problem you are describing.

Since your joists are 12" on center, I would think that 1/2" plywood would be stiff enough all by itself, assuming it a suitable grade and installed with face grain perpendicular to the joists.

In any event, a tapered wooden transition strip can be made to account for height differences. It can be finished to match the wood floor.

dhagin 03-25-2011 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob
in any event, a tapered wooden transition strip can be made to account for height differences. It can be finished to match the wood floor.

Attachment 95212

I usually have the top surface a hair higher than the tile. With table saw blade at maximum height, cut a taper down to about 1/4". Sand it, ease the sharp edges, add a couple coats of varnish, screw it down and plug the holes. :)