Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   CBU to drywall transition (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112743)

TimTaylor 05-14-2014 05:42 PM

CBU to drywall transition

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading posts here and learning quite a bit as I work on my bathroom renovation. Thank you all for you guidance and support.

I have a quick question which I think the experts here can answer quite easily so any help is appreciated.

The back wall in my bathroom continues straight into a walk in shower, therefore I have a point where the CBU will transition to drywall. There will be tile to the end of the CBU with about 1/4" overlap onto the drywall. After installing furring strips on the studs in the shower area (needed for the shower pan flange) the CBU sits about 1/4" higher than the drywall. I'm going to put 1/4" drywall on top of the existing drywall which will bring the transition of drywall to CBU almost flush. My issue is that I will be installing large wall tile 24 x 12 in the shower with 3 x 12 bullnose around the edge. I have read that I should use a 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 trowel for those large tiles. So after about 2 or 3 coats of Redgard, thinset scraped with the 1/2x 1/2 x 1/2 trowel and the tile itself I'm afraid the bullnose will sit too high above the drywall and it will not look good. Should I shim the 1/4" drywall above the CBU? If so, how much? Any other suggestions for a nice professional look?

Thank you,
Tim

Tool Guy - Kg 05-14-2014 10:37 PM

Welcome, Tim! :wave:

I'd question if you really want to fur out the cement board in this application. Sometimes it's only practical for one or two of the shower walls, but not for all. Without having additional details, this seems like one of those impractical times.

If you're really set on wanting the cement board installed over the face of your tiling flange, is it possible to notch your studs and shift the shower pan into the stud wall by a distance equivalent to the thickness if the flange itself?

:)

TimTaylor 05-15-2014 12:22 AM

Hi Tool Guy!

Thank you for your reply.
The shower pan flange is on all three sides and must remain "free floating". The pan has also been bonded to the subfloor with thinset. My only option to make the transition flush is to add the 1/4" drywall, which is not a problem.
I just wonder if I should fur out the 1/4" a bit more to allow for some thickness of the thinset under the wall tile.

Thanks,
Tim

John Bridge 05-15-2014 07:00 AM

Hi Tim, :)

Thin set won't take up that much room.

TimTaylor 05-15-2014 09:02 AM

Got it.
I tend to over think things sometimes. :)

Thank you John!

jim_c 05-15-2014 10:12 AM

I like it

I like your idea to make the two areas coplanar.
Couple thoughts (or maybe you have it all under control already):
Use 1/2" drywall rather than 1/4" in the area where you want the surface higher (than it is now)?
Tile the shower first, see where the level ends up, then do the drywalled area last?
Tile the whole wall if it's feasible and eliminate the issue?
Don't forget the thickness of the paint! Just kidding :)

TimTaylor 05-15-2014 02:36 PM

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the ideas!
Based on your response what I can do is tile the rear wall of the shower first (where it meets the drywall corner). From that point I will be able to tell exactly how much the tile will sit above the drywall and adjust the other wall accordingly.

Glad you mentioned the paint thickness. Time to break out my caliper. :)