Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   The Mud Box (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The health care debate (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74637)

MudMaker 10-12-2009 03:11 PM

It's kinda convoluted too because AARP handles Medicare Advantage for United Health Care - right?

SteveVB 10-12-2009 03:40 PM

United and AARP probably have a marketing agreement together- AARP defines what they want in the product and then United provides it under the AARP banner.

sandbagger 10-12-2009 04:45 PM

AARP doesn't sell anything. Basically they license their name for use and collect royalties. It's a little more complicated than that, and the St Pete Times has a pretty good piece. According to the article, AARP makes money on both Advantage and Medigap programs sold by United. The rub seems to be that some competitors offer perks that United does not, and AARP claims that the government funding amounts to a subsidy. When Congress forces cuts in those programs those perks will be the first things to go, thus hurting AARP's competition more.

and btw - AARP is supposed to be "non profit," but they sure don't mind making millions on those license agreements. Millions they then spend on their advocacy/lobbying efforts.

MudMaker 10-12-2009 05:34 PM

ahhhhh

sandbagger 10-13-2009 01:25 PM

it's working! As various bills get closer to real votes, the factions on the Left are pushing each other around to get their piece of the golden goose. Yesterday it was the insurance boys and AARP at each other. Today it is Big Labor.

Unions Will Oppose Baucus Bill Unless It's Changed.

Memo to GOP: when your opponents are committing suicide, get out of the way.

sweet. :corn:

TileArt1 10-13-2009 02:46 PM

Sorry Art - that has nothing at all to do with right or left. That kind of ridiculous "lobby jockying" goes on with both sides with every bill. It's called politics and it's one big reason nothing substantive ever gets accomplished.

I do notice you don't point that out when the right is doing it though. :stick:

:D

sandbagger 10-14-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

I do notice you don't point that out when the right is doing it though.
what's to point out, Roger? The GOP is completely powerless to stop this - no amount of jockeying on the right will change that.

With 60 votes in the Senate, the Dems have absolute control of the Federal government - something the GOP never achieved under Bush. (GOP Senate peaked at 55.) The only thing that will save us from a government takeover is infighting between all the special-interest factions on the Left. Fortunately, that's as reliable as clockwork. :yeah:
Quote:

It's called politics and it's one big reason nothing substantive ever gets accomplished.
when it comes to the Federal government, that's rarely a bad thing.

stullis 10-15-2009 12:35 AM

And you were worried Art. :D

stullis 10-15-2009 10:21 PM

Mike Rogers commentary summed up.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit. ;)

stullis 10-15-2009 10:22 PM

Here's the wonderful job that is done by the private sector insurance companies. :tongue:

http://wcco.com/specialreports/pregn...2.1222425.html

LGB 10-16-2009 12:10 PM

Get an address for me Scott and I'll willingly send her a few bucks to help out. I don't want the government forcing me, at gunpoint, to do so...

sandbagger 10-16-2009 09:11 PM

give it up, Scott. I think most of us are tired of playing this game of tit-for-tat trading of healthcare stories. I can assure you that with the internet these days I can find at least one story to make pretty much any point I want to make - about pretty much anything.

Besides, it's not about "healthcare." We've been through this, too. It's about the much bigger question of government intrusion into our lives, and the Constitutional basis for that intrusion.

Is it possible we will pay a price for upholding the Constitution and the intent of the Founders. Probably. But I'll take that chance in the interest of protecting that vision and the much larger benefits it provides.

stullis 10-16-2009 09:51 PM

Thanks Leon, she has a benefit account at US Bank.
Amie Redmond Benefit Account.

Amie is the daughter of high school friends of mine. She comes from a floorcovering family. Her grandpa, uncles and her father are currently or have all been in the flooring business as installers.

stullis 10-20-2009 12:14 AM

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Hmm, seems like the Constitution does allow it right there in the Preamble. ;)

deepwater 10-20-2009 03:40 AM

Looks like its the Government denying Healthcare.. 475,566 or 6.85% . Don't worry that "free" healthcare will be great when you go buy material for work and clothes for your children and your sales tax is 17% (7% state and 10% VAT)

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/q...nsurer2008.jpg