Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   The Mud Box (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The health care debate (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74637)

Aquera 06-17-2009 11:15 AM

2 cents from a Canadian here

I've always wondered why some Americans seem so against, or even scared of socialized health care - your other essential services like police and fire are already socialized, why not health care?

anyways, I know our system isn't perfect, however I will say that when we get sick, the last think we think about is money. (my dad is just getting over cancer, is medication costs maybe ten bucks a month, and that's the expensive part) I consider it a gift to be able to focus on getting better and that's it. The real kicker I would think is the "pre existing condition" stuff - you have a baby born with some rare disease and all of a sudden the family financially ruined - it just doesn't seem right.

In this thread I've picked up on some resistance to "paying for other people's health care" - please remember that your society consists of everyone, and any trauma that's a result of sickness will impact everyone. There is a HUGE price to having unhealthy people on your streets, and a huge toll paid by hard working families who suffer because of health insurance policy. You all get your taxes together and pay to be safe and not on fire, why not all get together and take away each others pain...

HS345 06-17-2009 11:22 AM

Mike, the ten bucks is the expensive part? Really?

What kind of taxes are you paying?

I have heard many, many horror stories about Canada's, and others national health care. No thanks, I'll take my chances with the imperfect system we have here, that is, if I have a choice. :shake:

LadyGodiva 06-17-2009 11:40 AM

Why is there always a focus on the horror stories of health care in Canada and never on the good stuff?

Meanwhile, we have how many millions of folks without health care in the US? I guess that's better than the systems in Europe and Canada, huh? Way to go Greg. You are a true believer.

How many folks have lost their homes due to illnesses that their existing insurance won't cover? I guess you missed that documentary recently? I won't even bother looking for links. They're there, do the search. Quit putting down other systems when ours is not even humane.

HS345 06-17-2009 11:45 AM

Should we ignore the horror stories?

If there are so many uninsured LG, then I guess you're against Obama's proposed plan, yes? Estimates show it will only reduce the uninsured by 16 million over 10 years, at a cost of one trillion dollars.

I know liberals don't like to be bothered with reality, but how will we pay for that?

jgleason 06-17-2009 12:01 PM

Duh Greg, we pay for it by printing more money. :D

LadyGodiva 06-17-2009 12:02 PM

Why do you and a few others ALWAYS bring up Liberals in a discussion? What's the obesession? Do you think that we are not able to think past our political affiliation?:scratch:

We need universal coverage.

jgleason 06-17-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyG
We need universal coverage.

No thanks, I don't want to be paying for any Martians. :moon:

HS345 06-17-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe
Duh Greg, we pay for it by printing more money.

Oh yeah. What was I thinking. :dunce:

HS345 06-17-2009 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LG
Why do you and a few others ALWAYS bring up Liberals in a discussion? What's the obesession?

Uhhhhh, because it's relevant? :shrug:

No obsession, just logic. :D

jgleason 06-17-2009 12:25 PM

I don't understand the need for universal coverage. Why stop at health care? Maybe we should all just work as hard as we do and turn all of our money over to the government who can then redistribute it to everyone in a fair and equitable manner.

I used to envision a world where money was no longer necessary, it was quite a utopia. I live in the real world though and life isn't fair. Some people prefer not to work at all and thus contribute nothing to society.

HS345 06-17-2009 12:29 PM

As an interesting aside, Obama's father believed taxation of 100% of income would be just fine and dandy.
Quote:

“Theoretically,” he wrote, “there is nothing that can stop the government from taxing 100% of income so long as the people get benefits from the government commensurate with their income which is taxed.”
"Dreams From My Father"? Kinda makes you go, hmmmmmmmmm.

Aquera 06-17-2009 12:30 PM

yes we pay taxes - but the cost we pay for health care is a lot less then what you pay (although yours is better in some ways - basically you don't have to wait for anything where as we may have to wait for non essential surgery sometimes)

I heard a thing on the radio a few weeks ago - I guess in the last 10 years or so, 6 or 7 Canadians lives were probably saved because they were able to go to the US and pay for surgery they would of had to wait for in Canada. When you consider how many millions of people die of totally preventable disease and car accidents, 6 or 7 in 10 years means squat.... the funny part is that these same 6 or 7 people have been paid by American lobbyist groups to do radio adds explaining how the Canadian system failed them..

I don't think the US should copy the Canadian system, there are WAY more efficient systems in Europe. Know that your system isn't humane, and that you're paying way too much for it.

HS345 06-17-2009 12:35 PM

Part of the reason our system is broken, is because it is too humane. We spend billions on health care for illegal aliens in this country. How much strain does that put on our system? :bonk:

jgleason 06-17-2009 12:39 PM

How is our system not humane? If you are sick you will get treatment regardless of your insurance. Just show up at any emergency room, they can't turn you away if you are ill. They may stabilize you and transfer you to a community hospital but you will get treatment.

ob1kanobee 06-17-2009 12:43 PM

Republican Enjoys Paying Huge Health Insurance Premiums

http://www.theonion.com/content/radi..._enjoys_paying

Funny 45 second clip........................