Tile tub separation help [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile tub separation help

mlorek
02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this incredible website. I have been reading and surfing this forum for some time now and can honestly say that I have never seen a more helpful or friendlier group of individuals anywhere. You all should be proud of the help and knowledge you pass along to the DIY individual. If I could trouble you for some information....
I have a spare bedroom tub and tiled floor in the townhouse that I am currently attempting to sell. The home is less than five years old. The tiled floor grout line where it meets the tub has started to pull away from the tub. My question is about repairing the problem.
1. Do I have to remove the old grout prior to sealing up the crack?
2. The original installer used a sanded grout up to the tub. Is this the best option for repair or is there a flexible grout or caulk that I can use in case this separation continues.
Thank you guys so much for any advice
Mike

Sponsored Links

gsr
02-28-2012, 12:08 PM
HI Mike,

It's pretty common for the grout in "changes in plane" to crack. Many people caulk those areas with elastomeric caulking, either 100% silicon or color matched (and sanded) siliconized acrylic caulk. The choice depends on how "wet" the area is.

In your case I'd advise gently removing as much of the cracked grout as you can and applying white 100% silicon. Paul has a great tutorial on caulking here:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85634

mlorek
02-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Geoff. I appreciate the help, Ill look at that tutorial and go ahead and do the repair. I cant stress again what an awsome help and resource this website is.

Thanks again!
Mike

RaymondJ
02-28-2012, 12:42 PM
if you have enough depth, and can source the material, you might also consider using a piece of foam backer rod, in the joint before the caulk.

this will result in an 'hourglass' shaped caulk joint and is much more likely to stretch without separation, rather than just filling the whole joint with caulk, which is less likely to stretch, and more likely to delaminate from the tile or the tub.

mlorek
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I looked at the joint, when cleaned out it is 5/8 inch wide and close to that if not a little more in depth down to the subfloor. Raymond this foam backer rod you speak of, is it available at Lowes or Homedepot and in what department? Thanks again for all the help

Houston Remodeler
02-28-2012, 12:52 PM
in the weather stripping dept. You'll look for clear plastic bags with what looks like grey rope inside.

mlorek
02-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks Paul, and thanks to all for the help, Im going to try to tackle it tomorrow morning, Its great to know I have such a great resource for help.

Mike

Lazarus
02-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Our bill is in the mail..............:tup2: (LOL)