dark spots in my gray grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : dark spots in my gray grout

macorso
01-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone, I could really use some advice on what to do with my grout, before it is too late. We have been in our newly constructed home for almost one year, and to this point, we have never sealed our grout. (tile installer said not necessary since grout is a DARK gray- in fact looked almost purple when it was being installed) Well, whats happening is that I am getting dark spots, (looks like wet spots) in a lot of different areas, even areas outside the kitchen, (Mud room, bath room, etc. So at this point I do not want to seal, until I get the grout straightened out. Will you advise please, and then recommend a good sealer. I did buy a product called Liquid Sun Magic from the tile distributor, to clean it but it did nothing to remove the spots. Thanks in advance!

Michele

Sponsored Links

mickey53usa
01-15-2004, 02:54 PM
I can't answer your question, because I have a similar problem with a lighter gray grout in a bathroom. I installed the tile and the grout. I have this problem around three or four tile in a specific area - an area where I had to remove some old vinyl/asphalt tile. I used a chemical stripper to remove the glue. I may have not gotten all of the stripper removed before I laid the ceramic and grouted the tile and the chemical is leaching up from the bottom. I did seal my grout when it was a couple weeks old, but problem appeared after that. My tile were laid on concrete. No answer for you - but a similar problem.

Sonnie Layne
01-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Might try just scratching the surface of those areas. May only be sitting right on top and could be mechanically removed. I'd use stainless steel so it won't mar the grout. This'd be good in an inconspicous place. Generally, this scraping will result in a lightening effect, unless the cause of the discolouration comes from further down. I suspect it may be discolouration from chemical/oil tho' I'm no expert. In that case in can be lifted.

Others will be along to help out with this, I wanted to give you an initial response and a welcome.