Grout lines getting larger? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout lines getting larger?

Flooring newbie
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Hello, everyone. I'm installing a marble floor in my dining room right now, and everything seems to be going pretty well, except the grout lines are getting larger and larger. I started at the top with 1/16 inch gaps, but as I laid more tiles, the vertical grout lines in the middle have slowly expanded so that they are now 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch. I tried correcting them as I went, but I couldn't get rid of them without causing gaps elsewhere.

This is not a problem at the sides; the gaps there remain 1/16th. It's just a problem for the 4 or 5 vertical grout lines in the middle. Do any of you guys know how I can correct this as I lay the final 2 and a half rows of tiles? I'm worried that at the rate the gap is expanding, there'll be giant grout lines in the entrance.

Also, I'm not sure what color grout will hide the uneven lines the best. I'm going to use black in between the black tiles, but what color would be the least noticeable in between the pinkish tiles?

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
07-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Gridding the floor first before tiling would have helped. Let's get some more info first,

Is the room square? Most are not.

Are the tiles all the same size? Measure ten to find out.

The other thing that would cause this would be a huge hump in the substrate

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

Flooring newbie
07-25-2011, 10:12 AM
The room seemed square... didn't bother it measuring before hand though.

The pink tiles are also all pretty even. The black tiles are about a tiny bit (less than a millimeter) smaller than the pink tiles, but that should be really noticeable or affect much.

I've started laying the marble out for the next few rows, and I don't think I can fix the problem anymore. No matter how I arrange the tiles, there are gaps. Good thing there's not many rows left.

jadnashua
07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
The likelyhood is that the room is not square, and the floor may not be flat either. A grout that matches the tile well will hide the grout lines fairly well. Hassle is, if it exceeds 1/8", then you're in a pickle. You definately do NOT want to use sanded grout on marble (it will scratch it), and unsanded's upper limit is 1/8" or it will have shrinkage cracks. If they exceed 1/8", then you may want to consider an epoxy grout - their 'sand' isn't as harsh as the real stuff.

The other unknown is if the subfloor is even adequate for a stone tile.