Old Subfloor and Dura Ceramic [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Old Subfloor and Dura Ceramic

vector_3
07-19-2011, 10:43 PM
My wife and I are doing a pretty substantial remodel on a log house. The house hasn't been lived in for about 5 years so no heat during the winter. We want to install dura ceramic but the house orginally had 3/4" particleboard installed as the underlayment with a 1/2" plywood as the subfloor. After removing the particle board I noticed the subfloor is a little bit wavy or a lot wavy in some places. I'm thinking of putting down a 3/4" plywood Sturd-I-Floor over the original subfloor and using 6d ringshank nails to hold it down, then placing the duraceramic on the Sturd-I-Floor. The joists are SYP 16" OC with 10ft spans and are in good shape. Does this sound like a solid plan or should I be rethinking this?

Andrew

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
07-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Here's an excerpt from the Duraceramic installation instructions (http://www.congoleum.com/pdf/duraceramic_install.pdf):

Wood
• Double layer construction over joist or trusses on 16” centers with be solid and at least 18” of well-ventilated air space.
• Install 1/4” or heavier underlayment over strip wood, single layer wood loors and APA-rated Sturd-I-Floor Systems.

Subfloor must free of movement.

Underlayment
• APA underlayment grade plywood with fully sanded face.
• Hardwood and veneer under- layment panels such as Multiply, HU 845 Tec-Ply and Ulay.
• Lauan plywood, particleboard, oriented strand board and chipboard create a higher risk for installation and adhesive failure and are not recommended unless warranted by the panel manufacturer or supplier.
• Not recommended over cement
backer-boards, glass mesh mortar

Install according to panel manufacturers’ written instruc-
tions.

I may be reading too much into this but it sounds like you need another underlayment layer in addition to the 2 layers of plywood you are planning. I don't like your description of the 1/2" plywood subfloor you have now, and I really don't like fastening a heavier layer of plywood to a lighter one.

BTw, I found another section that limits this product to interior heated spaces. If this cabin is a seasonal home and you intend to leave it with the heat off over the winter, I'd think about another product instead of this one.

vector_3
07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
The Sturd-I-Floor has a sanded face and according the the APA it's rated as an underlayment for tile. I also should have clarified, the house will be heated going forward, I just wanted to give the full background.