Shower Repair [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Repair

osagejl
07-11-2011, 10:56 AM
I just purchased a home and the shower has cracks on the bottom above the pan area. Also in the far right corner where the pan meets the back shower panel and shower glass , it's beginning to peel. I'm not sure the proper terminology, but I'm guessing the original shower pan was painted or relined ??? What are my options ? What is best way for me to repair the shower pan and cracks. I'll see if I can attach the distance and close up of the cracks and peeling of the pan. I appreciate any info you can provide.

Jeff

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
That looks to be a fiberglass pan that has cracked and been repaired. You can patch and repair it using common automotive bodywork or boat-building materials, but my guess is that it will be a matter of time before it starts to fail again. The problem is likely a lack of support under the pan leading to cracking in the resin. That won't go away, but you can make it look good for a while.

osagejl
07-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info.

Can I remove the glass, demo just shower pan, keeping the current panels in place. Then correct the support with mortar or concrete , then install a new pan ?

Or am I better off thinking about a prefab or tile as a replacement.

Thanks....

Jeff

bbcamp
07-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Usually, when a shower starts to fall apart, it falls apart everywhere. I'd start a project fund and replace the entire thing when you have the money. It appears to be serviceable for the near term. If it is leaking, all bets are off, though.