consistency [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : consistency

winter99
01-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Have just had a new tile floor installed, contractor used the Tech grout, stain resistant.
Not happy with the outcome seems to be splotchy not good color match, some places much lighter. But other places match perfect. Claims it was mixed per the directions.
I purchased the Tec product like new Acid Wash, and did a small section with that. Diluted it less than the directiuons stated. Seems better and more consistant, but still not dark like we would like. Summer Wheat is the color.
Anybody out there have this problem and found a cure?
Easy on me Im a newbe.:yipee:

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Kelly, your tile guy may have mixed per the directions, but he cleaned up with too much water. Get him back, point to the floor and tell him to fix it.:whip:

If you can't get him to fix it, here are your options: 1) use an acid product to scrub the top-most cement off the grout to reveal more color, 2) use a grout colorant to change the color of the grout, or 3) remove and regrout the floor.

You tried 1 with some success, so I'd try it again before taking more trastic action. Get some sulfamic crystals and make up a solution. Scrub with a nylon bristle brush. Rinse well with clean water.

If you did option 2, you'd be on your hands and knees painting the grout with a tiny little brush. Good news is you'll never have to seal it again.

Option 3 is the nuclear option. If you did this, you could switch to an epoxy grout. If you did, your color would consistent, and you would never have to seal the grout.

Shaughnn
01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi Kelly,
This is a common issue, so luckily there are some solutions readily available. Bob's already suggested two options, but I'd like to add to that that you should do a test area to make certain that your tile isn't damaged by the acid. Since we don't know the tile you've had installed, suggesting an acid treatment might have been premature?
Best of luck,
Shaughnn