Tile recommendation for powder room [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile recommendation for powder room

KBtrade
12-04-2003, 09:59 AM
After a much needed rest from tiling my 400 sq ft kitchen/laundry area (the project went great thanks to this forum :bow: I am now ready to tackle the powder room.:D

The powder room is 5'x5', we are installing a white pedestal sink and wainscoting on the lower half of the wall (painted white) Any ideas what type of flooring would look best? tile, marble, granite? (our home is mostly earth-tone colors like taupe) We were thinking of laying a diagonal pattern, I also like the pinwheel pattern using 12"x12" and 6"x6" tiles. Would a certain size tile or pattern make the room look bigger?
Thanks! :)

p.s. the subfloor is not an issue as it will handle the load.

Keith

Sponsored Links

Sonnie Layne
12-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Keith,

I remember, glad you made it back.

I personally like smaller format tiles in smaller rooms. Number one you can add more interest to the floor, number two you can afford to shoot some bucks on really cool stuff. You do shop a tile store, right? I've seen some way cool jobs on this site lately with glass tile, but anything small would be the way I'd lean. Unless you want to tackle a slab.

goneriding
12-04-2003, 11:18 AM
I like the big tiles set on point for a small room, it really enlarges the room and adds "visual movement." Is this a room that gets a lot of muddy boots, or is it a pretty room for guests? If the latter, I'd do something sumptious, maybe 18" travertine? Forget the borders etc, it will just clutter up an already small space. If it's a mudroom, I'd do an earth toned porcelain with medium tone grout.

I did one bathroom floor in terra cotta and green 12" checkerboard, set on point. It was stunning, I got many compliments. When I sold the house my realtor took pics of the bathroom for her own reference :)

Steven Hauser
12-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Keith,

The size tile in room that size will not make much difference.

What you can do is find something interesting to you and install it. I lighter color floor will open the space up some.

Steven

KBtrade
12-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the fast replies! :) goneriding, what does "set on point" mean? diagonal? The room is for guests, but it does get alot of daily use, we are too lazy to go upstairs and use one of the other bathrooms :D

goneriding
12-04-2003, 11:50 AM
yes, on the diagonal, I don't know whether "set on point" is a made up term or I heard it somewhere legitimate... ;)

Try dry fitting some tile both square and on point, just move it around and study it, you'll be amazed at how much cooler it looks on point :)

Davy
12-04-2003, 07:09 PM
I'd look into some 4x4 tumbled marble in 2 or 3 colors maybe a border of something else. It's a powder room, jazz it up.;)

Davy
12-04-2003, 08:51 PM
Here's one with 1/2 inch x 1 inch tumbled and a border with 1x1's.

Sonnie Layne
12-04-2003, 10:31 PM
Davy's the only person aside from myself that's made any kind of sense...... ;) 'course I'm given to purples and oranges.

goneriding
12-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Nice tile job Davy, but you forgot to put that toilet seat down! Men, geesh...

bmiller
12-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Hey goneriding,
can you tell me more about your terra cotta/green floor....even better you have any pics on this? I would love to see it....
were all the tiles 12"....did you use actual terra cotta type tiles or was it colored like terra cota....tell me more...please...

by the way...i am so trained to put the seat down it's not even funny...

thanks,
Brian

bbcamp
12-05-2003, 08:38 AM
I tell my wife to look before she leaps! :D

Then, I put the seat down....

Davy
12-05-2003, 08:20 PM
My wife and I have a deal, if she's not going to lift the seat when she's finished I'm not going to put it down when I'm finished. Sounds fair to me.;)

cx
12-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Geeez, Davy, musta took you all day to cut all them little bitty tiles. :eek:

Whoever pees in the house should pewt the seat how she wants it. :D

KBtrade
12-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks for all the ideas! :) We were planning to shop for tile this weekend but now have to dig out of the snow storm here in PA. :mad:

John Bridge
12-05-2003, 10:54 PM
Hey pards, think we ought to send these Yankees a little bit of warm? I'm starting to feel sorry for 'em. ;)

tileguytodd
12-06-2003, 07:06 AM
Musta worked john!! got up to a whopping 20 degrees yesterday.veritable heatwave!! :)
Now as to the toilet seat.Your a big girl and not crippled,If we can lift it,you can drop it!! :D

goneriding
12-07-2003, 08:21 PM
OK, I CAN operate a toilet seat, but if you're gonna take a brag pic you should make it look pretty! Take a look at Fine Homebuilding, do you ever see a toilet seat in the *up* position in there? BH&G, Home, Met. Home... nope, nope, nope. If there's a "Tile Dude's Monthly" I'll bet even THEY put the seat down. No one wants to see skid marks when they're admiring your new tile job :rolleyes: :D

Davy
12-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Tile Dudes Monthly would have a urinal.;) :D

Davy
12-08-2003, 08:49 PM
is this better?

goneriding
12-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Very nice :)

Davy
12-08-2003, 09:52 PM
Thank You Carla, I knew you'd like it.;)

Now, what kind of ideas have you got for Keiths powder bath floor?:)

Muny
12-09-2003, 06:13 AM
Our powder room (http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7138) is smaller than yours. I used 18" ceramic tiles. Although its full of imperfections, I'm really quite happy with it.