Acryllic caulk & (don't hate me) cultured marble [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Acryllic caulk & (don't hate me) cultured marble

tdoyon
12-02-2003, 11:03 AM
After only 5 months of use, the silicone caulk by the shower pan and panels is shot. :mad: I don't want to use silicone again - I have enough trouble using acryllic siliconized caulk, 100% silicone is simply asking for trouble. I purchased the dap kitchen bath caulk with microban in it. It says it can be used on cultured marble. I keep reading all this stuff that says I should use silicone. Can I use that dap caulk in the shower or is dap lying to me?

Sponsored Links

Sonnie Layne
12-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Welcome back,

what's the problem with siliconized acrylic?

Whatever you use, the surface is gonna have to be absolutely clean. I'm not well versed in strip-cleaning cultured marble, but methanol or acetone is usually recommended. Check with a dealer/manufacturer or someone on this site what should be used.

Whatever you use, it'll need to remain dry for 2 days before use.

Do you need a coloured caulk, or white or clear?

John Bridge
12-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi Theresa, :)

I hate using silicone too, but it's really the way to go. Sounds to me like they just didn't do a good job to begin with. It should have lasted much longer than that.

You could use a latex caulking, but you'd have to let it dry much longer than the silicone.

Do you towel dry your shower each time you use it?

tdoyon
12-02-2003, 01:17 PM
I considered using mineral spirits to clean things up, but the warnings about ventilation and not using in bathrooms made me reconsider. I bought rubbing alcohol (91%) at the supermarket instead. I am planning on using the backup shower for the rest of the week.

I was towel drying the shower but stopped because I was removing a little bit of caulk every morning. I started using a squeegie (sp?) instead but that doesn't help the caulk.

break over - back to silicone destruction :bang:

Sonnie Layne
12-02-2003, 01:37 PM
don't use mineral spirits..... leaves an oily film.

Vodka would be better, but isopropanol is fine, too. Just don't drink it :D

tdoyon
12-02-2003, 03:02 PM
The caulk comes off of the cultured marble panels easy enough - it won't come off of the shower pan (which I suspect is acryllic and not cultured marble). I noticed my putty knife scratched the shower pan and asked the builder for some advice. He said that the caulk is covered under the warrantee and gave me the name and number of the cultured marble guy. I'm off the hook for at least a year. ;)

Sonnie - I am surprised you suggested Vodka. Wouldn't beer be more appropriate? :shades:

tdoyon
02-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Is it okay to store acetone in the garage? I'm a little concerned about where to keep something so flammable in the house.

and no I was never able to remove the silicone caulk and the contractor couldn't be bothered to do warranty work...I'm calling a handyman tomorrow and will start saving my pennies for a tear out in a year or two. :mad:

doitright
02-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi Theresa :)

Sorry to hear about the inconveniences you're having. :( Quick to take the money, slow to service. Certainly not the way I do business.

I store my chemicals in my van and garage. The cooler the area the better, but as long as the top is on tight, shouldn't be an issue. You're already exercising common sense, so no need to tell you to keep it away from heat sources! :D

John Bridge
02-01-2004, 04:03 PM
I keep mine on top of my gas water heater.

:D